Call Connection/Drop Quality on BYOP/RW3.0 versus MotoX 1st Gen ROM/RW Refund plan

calling

Background: I currently have a 1st Gen Moto X with custom ROM and RW2.0? (Refund) plan. I’ve been quite happy with the phone/service generally but fairly often see a number of incoming calls that go directly to VM without ringing through OR ring through but drop immediately. That despite living in the Redmond WA area having pretty good Sprint and WiFi coverage. The great price point of RW has generally out-weighed my annoyance with dropped/missed calls.

I’m finally considering getting a new phone and switching to the RW3.0/BYOP plan. For other folks that have done a similar switch… have you found that the RW implementation via SIM card to be better or worse versus the custom ROM design previously used by RW? I would expect that they had to change some specific technology for how they handle call placement/tear-down/switching and wondered whether folks found it more (or less) stable than the dedicated/custom ROM approach.

Looking at the T-Mobile coverage map I see that Redmond WA has excellent coverage:

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

I previously had the Moto X (1st Gen) and the Moto X (2nd Gen). I did experience the missed calls problem but fixed that with a change to my ASUS router. I only experience dropped calls when on the road and the phone switched from Sprint to a roaming partner.

I now have a Samsung Galaxy S7 with RW’s GSM service (T-Mobile) and most of my calls are either WiFi or VoLTE. The call quality is better than I experienced with either of the Moto models.

erichte,

I haven’t noticed a difference after being with RW for 4+ years. Have had phones on the 2.0/3.0 plans with both GSM and CDMA networks. Calls on all have worked equally well. Phones, prices and selection are much better with the newer 3.0 phones.

You may find upgrading to a new phone and plan will provide better service with either of RW partner networks. The majority of RW 3.0 compatible phones can be used on either CDMA or GSM networks but some are GSM only phones.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.