Call for Early Adopter Beta testers: New Moto phones announced 1/8/21

On Friday, January 8, Motorola announced 4 new phones. If you missed the live announcement, you can watch the announcement and unboxing video.

The new lineup includes:

• Moto G Power (2021) XT2117-4
  • Moto G Stylus (2021) XT2115-1
  • Moto G Play (2021) XT2093-4
  • Moto One 5G Ace XT2113-2

If you plan to be among the first to own one of these exciting new phones, we’d like to invite you to participate in our Early Adopters program with early access to try your new phone on our service.

Requirements:

• You must submit an interest form that includes a legal disclaimer, and pass a basic screening process.
  • You must have functional coverage on T-Mobile’s GSM network
  • You must provide your own phone

Please make sure you do not buy a carrier-subsidized version. We support only the North American, factory unlocked version of any BYOP phone.

You will be expected to provide feedback in our #beta category.

If you are interested in participating, please reply below, or message me personally for further details.

3 Likes

I am interested. Currenty have your Moto G5+ (underlying Sprint network). Have full T-Mobile coverage based on map. Located in Southeast Florida, 33435 (Palm Beach Area). Would purchase unlocked Moto G Power(2021) directly from Motorola Store if approved for Early Adopter. Thank you, Jerry.

1 Like

Hi @jasii,

Welcome to our Member Community, and thanks for your interestinthis Early Adopter Beta! I’ll send you a personal message with some details.

What interests you about the Moto G Power (2021) over the other options?

Slightly off topic…

The specs on the 2021 G Power appear to be inferior to the 2020 version. I guess they’re trying to hold a price point.

Not off topic to me as southpaw did ask, “What interests you about the Moto G Power (2021) over the other options?”

The only spec I am interested in is not listed in the spec sheet. It is reliability. The 2020 version is/was inherently buggy with ongoing and recent MRs from Motorola (not RWS) attempting to fix them. I am hoping that with changing out the processor, providing more reliable connectivity, and realistic input/output specs, that this one will fit the bill. I hope that is part of what the early adopter program will discover :slight_smile: My $.02

1 Like

Cool! I’m down to my last old phone that will work here. I’ve had 3 in the last year with battery swells that are too old and outdated to fix (and after shattering a glass back trying to get one off, I’m not a big believer in my capabilities. :joy:) So I’m left with my Moto X Pure with a non-functional Bluetooth radio.

If I HAD the money, I’d get the Stylus. Love the huge size, the RAM and processor seem good, and would love the macro camera for my hobbies (closeups of pen nibs, gemstones, watch movements). Too bad the 2021 one loses stereo speakers…that’s actually the one thing I’m appreciating on my Pure, now that I’m stuck using that. I’m looking forward to reading what people have to say on the new phones!

1 Like

I have been watching this forum and planning to buy a Moto G Sylus 2021 if/when support was announced. I have been a RW member I think since 2014, through several different Moto phones. I am interested in being an Early Adopter Beta tester. Please let me know what I need to do. Thank you! --Dan

1 Like

I am ready for an upgrade and would like to participate in this. I assume it means I should order an unlocked Moto g stylus from the Motorola website. I am in Brooklyn NY with the phone coverage.

1 Like

Hi @danananda and @marlened.ghbrzf,

Thanks for your interest in this Early Adopter Beta! I’ll be in touch with each of you later today by personal message with the details you’ll need.

1 Like

Alternatively, If your day takes you into the city, then B&H in midtown will/should be carrying the unlocked 2021’s starting tomorrow and has store pickup. 420 9th Ave. I would visit website and/or call to confirm/reserve. 800’ 901’ 5743’ - I am not affiliated with them I just have ordered a lot of various computer stuff from them over the years.

4 Likes

Hello. Can you mention how it is inferior? It seems like the camera is much better, but still researching what phone to get. Thanks.

1 Like

Here is a review of the new line models side by side for easier spec comparison

1 Like

Sorry I do not mean the 2021 lineup comparison, I mean the Moto G Power 2020 vs. Moto G Power 2021.

Here are some comparisons:

G Power 2020 G Power 2021 Item
6.4" 6.6" Screen Size
1080x2300 720x1600 Resolution
399 266 Display DPI
SD 665 SD662 Processor
4/64 3/32 Memory
10W 15W Fast Charging
16MP f/2.2 48MP f/2.2 Wide Angle Camera
2MP 2MP Macro Camera
8MP None Ultra Wide
4K/30 1080P/60 Max Video Res

So unfortunately, inferior in almost every way.

2 Likes

Do you think the camera megapixels would be obvious of the difference?

Megapixels really isn’t indicative of camera quality. An 8MP Camera with a better processor and software can look better than a 48MP Camera other than at extreme zoom. So, I don’t think that looking at the number of MP is going to be enough to know which camera can take better pictures.

2 Likes

I am currently a Republic Wireless customer, and I am interested in purchasing this phone (Moto One 5G Ace) ASAP.
According to Motorola website, this phone is compatible with Republic Wireless.
Is this confirmed to work with Republic Wireless?
Should I proceed with purchasing and activating it with Republic Wireless?

I am a republic wireless customer and my son just purchased the moto g9 power. Would he be able to do this beta testing?

Hi @greatwent This phone is currently part of the Early Adopter Beta that is discussed in the first post in this thread you responded to.

As long as it remains in that stage, the requirements, as posted above are:

• You must submit an interest form that includes a legal disclaimer, and pass a basic screening process.
  • You must have functional coverage on T-Mobile’s GSM network
  • You must provide your own phone

in order to use the phone with Republic during the beta stage.

In the US there is no phone thate has the name Moto G9 Power. If the phone is actually named that way then it won’t work with Republic. In the US the phone is called the Moto G Power (2021) and while it is the 9th generation phone, the G9 Power name is only used for overseas versions. Where did your son get the phone?

Message an
Expert customer