Calling From China

I will be traveling to China later this year and have read that China may block VOIP calls. Does anyone have recent experience with making calls from China to the US? Were there any special steps or techniques required? Thanks.

Hi @davidm.8ajoaq,

@happywillow0 wrote in October about being able to call the US on WI-Fi from China:

couple years ago, I was able to use republic wireless phone to call US from China on Wifi, just as I used it in US.

Thank you. I hope the phone works as well as it has on other overseas trips.

1 Like

It has been a slight while since I was in China. I think I remember the phone call connecting directly on wifi. However, I also had a VPN on the phone as well.

I do recommend getting a VPN depending on how long the trip is and how important it is to connect to some services.

There is two choices which I came up with which is getting a local SIM card and using Republic Anywhere (which I think my had to have a VPN), or keeping the Republic SIM and using the phone over wifi only.

I don’t know how much truth there is to the rhetoric, but VPN use in China may be more restrictive in the near future:

I think this quote from the referenced article is worth paying attention to:

In December, a man in southern China was sentenced to five and a half years in prison for selling a VPN service on Alibaba’s Taobao and other marketplaces.

While aimed at a provider (rather than a user) of a VPN service, one might want to verify whether use of an unlicensed VPN remains legal. I don’t know about China but mere use of a VPN is illegal in other countries. I wouldn’t want to find out the hard way that’s true in China.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer