Calling from ireland

Can I call from overseas with Republic Wireless?

All RW phones can call back to RW native coverage areas from overseas locations with adequate WiFi access for no additional charge.

Hi @michaela.hfl9a9,

Some detail regarding how Republic phones behave when outside the U.S. follows:

Republic Wireless doesn’t offer international cellular coverage. When on unrestricted WiFi, you will, generally, be able to make calls and send text messages to U.S. and Canadian numbers and otherwise use your phone as if you were home.

If you need to make calls to local numbers in Ireland while on WiFi, many make use of third party services such as Google Voice, Google Hangouts, Skype or Vonage. I like lesser known and, typically, less expensive service providers paired with a free Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) app that can be integrated with a Republic phone’s native dialer. More here, Adding International Calling to Your Republic Phone | Republic Wireless Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia. Alternatively, you can use an international calling card with a U.S. access number. International calling cards are commonly sold at convenience stores.

If you have a Republic 3.0 phone (unlocked GSM); there is the option of using a local (in country) SIM where you’re traveling. Republic has some guidance here: https://community.republicwireless.com/docs/DOC-2912-republic-wireless-30-faqs#jive_content_id_International. You’d switch between Republic service on WiFi and local cellular service by swapping SIM cards.

If you have a legacy Republic phone (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1 or X2), you might temporarily switch to the $5 WiFi only plan. This will save some money while on your trip. More to the point, doing so will make sure that your text messages reach you while out of the country. If you don’t switch to the WiFi only plan you may not receive your text messages as Republic Wireless will attempt to route them to your phone via the cellular network, which you can’t access. This is the nature of Republic’s hybrid WiFi/cell technology.

Depending on your current plan, you may need to wait for your bill cycle date to change your plan to the $5 WiFi only plan. For more on that, please open the Republic app on your phone and quote, for me, the words describing your current plan underneath your phone number.

Additionally, I suggest placing your phone in airplane mode then manually reenabling WiFi. Doing so will help preserve battery life otherwise wasted while your phone attempts to locate a cellular signal it’s incapable of connecting to.

If cellular access is a must while traveling, you might consider renting a phone for that purpose: International phone rentals for Talk Abroad - Cellular Abroad.