Calling in Europe

I have read all the RW discussions, but need some clarification.

1. I can put an international SIM card into my Moto G 4th Gen phone and will be able to make local calls within the EU the same as if I can making calls here in the US. I can switch the cards back and forth depending on if I want to call the US or locally within the EU?

2. Re: a Moto E 2nd Gen phone-

-I can call/text the US from the EU as long as I have Wifi (same as here). Can I also receive calls/texts from the US?

-For making local calls within the EU with this phone it is recommended either to get an international calling card or use an app like Skype/Google Voice/CSipSimple . If I get an calling card, how, specifically does that work with making calls? Would I still need Wifi for that to work? Likewise, would I need Wifi for the apps to work? Any thoughts about using a Wifi hotspot to address the issue? I need to be able to make local calls with in the EU with 100% reliability.

Thank you!

International Travel with a Republic Phone

1. I can put an international SIM card into my Moto G 4th Gen phone and will be able to make local calls within the EU the same as if I can making calls here in the US. I can switch the cards back and forth depending on if I want to call the US or locally within the EU?

yes you can put a international SIM in and make cell calls to as any one with the carrier who sold you the SIM could, to call back to the US(or Canada) on WiFi you will need to reinstall the Republic SIM

1. Re: a Moto E 2nd Gen phone-

-I can call/text the US from the EU as long as I have Wifi (same as here). Can I also receive calls/texts from the US?

Correct all on WiFi (note text send when WiFi is off may get lost as they will be forward to the Sprint network unless on the $5 plan)

-For making local calls within the EU with this phone it is recommended either to get an international calling card or use an app like Skype/Google Voice/CSipSimple . If I get an calling card, how, specifically does that work with making calls? Would I still need Wifi for that to work? Likewise, would I need Wifi for the apps to work? Any thoughts about using a Wifi hotspot to address the issue? I need to be able to make local calls with in the EU with 100% reliability.

Adding International Calling to Your Republic Phone | Republic Wireless Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia

1 Like

Thanks. I am still not clear on if I need to have Wifi to use the calling apps outlined in the Wikia link or to use the international calling card.

1 Like

Hi @jennifers.du2jyn,

The answer on the apps is you’ll need WiFi or cellular data. Since your Moto G4 can use a local (in country) SIM, you may find cell data to be priced much more attractively that here in the U.S. This is particularly true of Europe.

An international calling card could be used via cellular voice, in addition to WiFi or cellular data, with an in country SIM but using it that way makes little sense as it would be better to make local calls using the in country SIM directly.

Since you reference traveling within the EU, you might be interested in looking at Three for service while traveling. Three is UK based but has a very attractively priced option called Feel At Home. More here: About Feel At Home. - Roaming costs & savings - Roaming & international - Support - Three.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer