Calls drop with Microphone sharing error

So I was on a call with my husband today and I kept getting an interruption and the message on the phone had something to do with if you have a call recording app the microphone needs to be turned off and then his call would call back but he wasn’t officially disconnected. I do not have a call recording app on my phone but I did get a call interruption that did not get connected in the middle of my call with my husband before it started. So can someone create a problem with my phone in that way. I rebooted the phone and haven’t talked to him since then but I’m wondering if there’s a way of someone outside or calling in created this problem or has anyone else had this happen.

I was not talking through my Bluetooth so that was not connected.

There is very likely another app that uses the microphone that became active during your call. Do you have a Ring doorbell, or another security camera with motion alerts? You want to be sure that the settings for all of those devices keep the microphone turned off unless you physically touch the icon to enable it. That’s just one possibility. I’m sure that there are others.

We don’t have either of those things. But thanks for the info I thought possibly Russia’s spam call was sneaking into my phone.

So I have a Pixel 3a.
This time is the first time it happened…
When I went into my settings today there were only two things that were tied to the microphone One was Republic wireless and the other one was Google. And that is my standard everything else is with permission or when using the app.

Same issue here but on a Pixel4a. Was having a conversation and the call “ended” at least 5 times. And then I would get a call back from the person, but they never even noticed I got disconnected unless I was mid-sentence. Happened about every 45 seconds and I was not using any other apps while talking. I also don’t have a Ring or anything of the sort.

Hi @jimr.09cb5g and @wkurzius,

Please try disabling cell-to-WiFi handover in the Republic app.

1. Open the Republic app
  2. Tap the Settings gear :gear: at top right
  3. Tap Advanced Settings
  4. Scroll down and uncheck Handover to WiFi when appropriate.

What phone do you have? note 20 ultra

What plan are you on?

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? yes

Issue Description

intermittently disconnects calls with and error message that microphone is in use by another app. Gives the option to call back and reconnects for a few seconds.

Hi @cb1,

Please let us know if this helps:

https://help.republicwireless.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042407533-Error-Another-Application-Is-Currently-Using-Your-Microphone-

sorry no, the microphone was already enabled for RW, But thank you

Hi @cb1,

You might try disabling cell to WiFi handover in the Republic app as follows:

1. Open the Republic app
  2. Tap the gear icon to the upper right
  3. Tap Advanced Settings
  4. Uncheck Handover to WiFi when appropriate

New Samsung galaxy s21
I have talk, text and data

The suggestions a republic service rep had me do have NOT resolved my problems with this new, expense Samsung galaxy s21, phone.

• Voice Calls are interrupted every few minutes. The message is something about an app accessing the microphone (or something to that effect)
  • I can not initiate calls from my contact list
  • I can not access voice-mail

Heelp!

1. I would suggest you carefully go through this guide by a fellow Ambassador
  2. Could you share with the community what the service rep had you try?

Hi @heatherf.b9r8ws,

Please make the following adjustment in the Republic app, and please let us know if it helps:

1. Open the Republic app
  2. Tap the Settings gear :gear: at top right
  3. Tap Advanced Settings
  4. Scroll down and make sure Handover to WiFi when appropriate is unchecked

Thanks
I made that change. I haven’t tested it yet let’s keep :crossed_fingers:

That fixed it! My voice calls are not being interrupted.
Thank you!
Heather

1 Like

What phone do you have? Moto G Power (2020)
What plan are you on? Choice
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Includes data

I have had a Moto G Power (2020) for something approaching two years, with few hassles. However, during the last few days I have experienced several instances of something very similar to what was discussed in a previous, now Closed, thread: Moto G Power and Stylus microphone sharing problem

Several calls to complex offices (busy doctors offices, Social Security Administration phone menu) have been interrupted by the old “boo-boo-BEE” network audio, and dropped the call. Then also showing the “microphone sharing problem” error text message on my handset. And most times the call resumes by itself as a new incoming call, after some period (15 seconds?) of interruption. Not very helpful when in the middle of an actual voice discussion, nor when fighting through the voice-activated phone menu, trying to talk with a live person.

These calls occurred while on my home WiFi network, but scanning the 230 posts in the linked thread shows me that WiFi was not the main culprit for that issue.

For right now I have disabled microphone access in the Google app (not so happy about that - is that still necessary) AND have turned off the “Handover to WiFi when appropriate” in the RepublicWireless app. Hope these fix this!

Suggestions how to resolve this new-to-me issue? Is this the same issue as before, over a year ago, but resurfaced because something previously fixed is now re-broken?

Hi @clint_s,

I believe simply disabling “Handover to WiFi when appropriate” will prevent the calls from dropping.

Yes, it seems there is a fresh app conflict that is not appropriately releasing the claim to the microphone, so when the we try to hand the call over to WiFi, our app cannot use the microphone.

2 Likes

Just getting back to this issue because it just happened again and I have a moment. It occurred to me that I had enabled google assistant so I disabled that and my second call today did not disconnect. I will try disabling cell to wifi if it persists. If either are the issue I don’t think the solutions are really a fix. Cell to wifi was sort of the point when we started down this road. And should we not have the ability to use assistant and make phone calls?

You make a valid point that both options are workarounds. But our app cannot force another app to release its claim to the microphone. If the Google app is not releasing the mic when its session ends, that’s an issue Google would need to fix.

What situation makes the cell-to-WiFi handover integral to your use of the phone?

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer