Calls over cell messages and data over Wi-Fi

Can someone call me clearly the email communication is not working I have a brand new sprinter hotspot in my van all my other devices work fine except for this republic phone

You have posted this request in the Community Forum, where users help fellow users. Any of us that would have been helping you would be documented in the forum discussions, or DM (Direct Message). Email communications on your problem, probably came from Republic Support via their Ticketing system. You can view and update your Ticket from this link https://account.republicwireless.com/account/tickets/ .
This would be the best way for you to follow the problem, and also where you would request a phone call.

Can we assume that the phone works fine with a cellular connection and that it also works fine on other Wi-Fi networks ( home, McDonald’s, etc.)?

Yes that is correct

What is the brand and model of the Hotspot? And who is the provider of service? And the make/model of your phone?

Calls over cell when connected to a cellular-based hotspot could be due to a number of factors. Most commonly, necessary ports may be blocked or latency may be too high. If you have a 3.0 Republic Wireless phone, you may wish to run a diagnostic test to determine what exactly may be the cause:

Mifi sprint. Motorola

Motorola what? There are a lot of moto phones, some are not RW compatible. Some are on older plans.
Also what email client are you using? Are you using a web based method or app based?
If using Gmail does it fail both in the app and thru Chrome?

First of all email has nothing to do with it I never said it did.
It’s a new republic wireless phone I bought from republic I’m not sure the model maybe you can tell me how to find that. Thank you for your help

My mistake on the email, I misread your original post.
Please run the diagnostic test mentioned above by @cbwahlstrom.
Model number: Generally, the path would be Settings -> About phone -> Model number.

Moto g fast. I ran diagnostics I had 2 warnings and 1 fail

I just sent over the diagnostics, thx

1 Like

Were these diags ran inside the Sprinter while connected to its WiFi?
Could you take a screenshot of the 2 warnings and 1 fail and post them here.

1 Like

It looks like the necessary ports to enable Wi-Fi calling are blocked, and latency is too high. I don’t think there’s much you can do with regard to Wi-Fi calling on this hotspot. Actually, this is what I prefer to see with regard to my automobile supplied hotspot. I’d rather rely on the cellular calling of the phone than the variable bandwidth of the automobile hotspot while my son is streaming YouTube videos in the back seat.

1 Like

@jasonp.xsbec4,
Thanks for gathering and posting this. It does an excellent job of summarizing the problems that the diagnostics found. The 1st 3 items should be of interest to the Mercedes folks as I have no idea what they provide for users at the onboard router’s interface unless you can point us to some documentation on what they actually have for a router that I could dig into with you.
I would first pursue with Mercedes, then as a last resort try to utilize the cellular portion of your Phone. The last failure, to me at least, indicates that the RW phone should failover to RW cell for calling … and you would have to pursue that by Opening a Ticket

For possible use by Mercedes, here is an extract from Router Tweaks - Keep WiFi 1st - a Community Guide

5090 UDP which is used for call set up
6000-29999 UDP which is used for voice/audio
443 MQTT which is used for Voicemail, Messaging SMS/MMS and keep-alive messages to RW servers.

1 Like

This is a Sprint hotspot it has nothing to do with mercedes.Uploading: 16061448260056190460641734125669.jpg…

@jasonp.xsbec4,
Ok, thanks. It looks like this is a MiFi-8000 … here is a link to the User guide, I will profess to know less than you about this device.

• I do see that they show how to check the device info and firmware levels on page 54
    • I would check and update the firmware to ensure it’s at the latest level.
    • With your RW phone connected, check Connected Devices > Wi-Fi Devices to display the type, name, and IP address to ensure that you are actually assigned an IPV4 Address (It will look something like 192.168.1.235) as Republic servers do not use IPv6 address’s and they would look like this 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334
    • If it shows an IPV6 address for your phone, then check page 40 for instructions and disable IPV6

From the doc it looks like Sprint is who you will need to work with to ensure all is good and the necessary ports are not blocked

I did a factory reset and no update was available. Sprint said it is a RW issue. Lol The vicious circle

2 posts were split to a new topic: Need help with using a Hot Spot or my RW phone to stream football

Message an
Expert customer