Calls over cell, messages over data over WIFI

What phone do you have? Moto g stylus

What plan are you on? My Choice + 1GB

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? yes

Issue Description

I noticed today that the green RW arc is not green. My notifications say “calls over cell, messages over data over WIFI”. I’ve tried turning off and on my WIFI on my phone. I’ve restarted my phone. And I’ve “forgotten” my WIFI, restarted my phone, and then re-entered my WIFI info. Nothing has worked. It’s still showing an empty arc.

If you’re not having problems making calls I wouldn’t worry about it, but here is one help article describing the condition you are experiencing:

Here is another article on improving WiFi calling:

2 Likes

FWIW I also have the Moto G Stylus on the My Choice plan and it does that fairly often where the arc is seemingly empty (non-green, black) but the WiFi connection is fine. Usually it fills in eventually, but I’ve learned to just check the actual WiFi settings to see if there’s a connection rather than trust the arc. On the other hand if the arc is filled it seems to be a valid indication of the status.

That’s not to say there aren’t bugs, that could be fixed…

2 Likes

The Republic app arc status isn’t intended to be an indication of the status of one’s WiFi connection per se. It is intended to show the status of WiFi calling on the WiFi network to which one is connected.

Then it’s not a bug it’s a feature! Makes sense now.

I would classify this as a bug … and it lies within your Internet connection (WiFi/Router/Internet)
Some functioning over WiFi (Data & MQTT over WiFi, but Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) was unable to establish a connection, so calls had to revert to cell. The WiFi network may be blocking streaming ports or protocols, which is what may prevent the SIP connection.
I would always recommend you treat this as something you have a bit of control over and consult the Quick Checks in Router Tweaks - Keep WiFi 1st - a Community Guide

Hi @amberh.0z6jxn,

Have you been able to get WiFi calling restored on your phone?

Yes it just started working properly again. Don’t know when or how.