Calls Over Cell Only, using Norton WiFi Privacy

What phone do you have? Moto X Pure

What plan are you on? My Choice + 1 GB

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Includes Data

Issue Description

I can only get calls over Cell while messages and data are working over WiFi. I think this started when I began using Norton WiFi Privacy app. When I turn off VPN in the app, the status indicates that I can get calls over WiFi. Is the use of Norton WiFi Privacy incompatible with my Republic Service? If not, how can I correct this situation?

Thanks,
Cindy

I would say yes. That VPN app is your problem.
The VPN is probably blocking access to R.W. servers by blocking the Ports and/or protocols needed.
Those apps and VPN services are not going to be configured to allow R.W. patented VoIP tech.

I have used the built in Google VPN (Wifi Assistant) that auto connects to open wifi just fine with R.W though. That is built into Google Nexus and Pixel phones since 8.0. Not sure on other brand phones.

1 Like

In addition to @SpeedingCheetah comment (good one!),
Things that some users may not be aware of for any VPN

• VPN will introduce a different data path to the RW servers, additional ‘latency’ (delay -caused by processing, distance or both) … these can reduce the signal quality to the point that Republics VoIP will have problems.
1 Like

It’s not really incompatible. Your calls will just be placed/received over cellular.

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer