Can a new sim be activated overseas, porting a US number?

I have a US number and want to port it to Republic Wirelesss on a new phone. I live in Costa Rica and currently have another number with RW that I use for wifi calling. Can the new SIM from RW be activated and the number ported while I am in Costa Rica?

As the nones in the community best qualified to answer this for you have chimed in, you may want to pose the questions to a Community Expert.
See top right of this page for the link to invoke them using the image Tab on this page: Republic Help

Good morning @coltech88 !

Good question!

As long as you have a good Wi-Fi connection and a US billing address, you will be able to activate your phone overseas with a GSM SIM card (if you device is a 3.0 phone). If your number is eligible to be transferred, you can definitely port your number over–even if you are in Costa Rica. Just make sure you follow the instructions here: How to Transfer Your Number to Republic Wireless – Republic Help .

If you run into any issues while porting, let us know so we can help!

1 Like

Hi @coltech88,

This is a second number in addition to the one you currently use with Republic for WiFi calling in Costa Rica? Or, are you wanting to upgrade the Republic activated phone currently in use? If the latter, what is the brand, model and generation of the current phone?

Generally, yes as Republic SIMs are activated over WiFi. Should you return to the U.S. and want cellular coverage, you would likely need to restart the phone upon arrival on U.S. soil to pick up cell coverage.

Do you intend to purchase the new phone from Republic’s online store? Or, would you be purchasing the phone from a third party retailer?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer