Can I access my texts/voicemails with an international sim card?

I just arrived in Bali and will be working remotely and living here for a couple of months. When I arrived, I had access to all of my US texts and phone calls as long as I was connected to wifi. But I needed 3G to get around and communicate with locals when not in wifi range, so I installed a sim card that lets me connect to the local phone network here. But now I don’t know how to access any texts or phone calls that might be coming to my phone. Is there a way for me to check this? Thanks!

Do you have access to them if you switch out your sim cards again? You could also try the Republic Anywhere app.
https://republicwireless.com/republic-anywhere/

Thanks. Can I just put in another sim card and my phone will start working as normal again? I don’t know if I have to do anything special to switch sim cards… The guy at the store switched my republic one out, but he didn’t speak english, so I wasn’t sure what he did.

I looked for Republic Anywhere and couldn’t find it on Google Play… weird, because it seems to have an app for android from the looks of the website. But it was nowhere to be found!

Hi @sarahp.d3kff2,

To help us best help you, we need some information about your Republic SIM. Please examine it. Is the lettering for the word Republic a mix of green and black? Or, is that lettering all black. Please let us know.

Google has temporarily removed Anywhere from the play store. This was not done at Republic’s request and Republic is working to get Anywhere back into the play store.

I’m on the U.S. east coast and signing off for the night, however, I will follow-up with you tomorrow.

Yes, the lettering is green and black.

Thanks for trying to help me!

Hi @sarahp.d3kff2,

Thank you for the additional context! It is possible to switch between using Republic service on WiFi and local cellular service in Bali. Doing so involves swapping SIMs back and forth depending upon which service you wish to use. Here’s how:

1. Power down your phone.
  2. Remove the local SIM and insert your Republic SIM.
  3. Power up your phone.
  4. Connect your phone to WiFi.
  5. Open the Republic app.
  6. You’ll be presented with an abbreviated activation sequence.
  7. Allow that to complete, then restart your phone.

You’ll now be able to use Republic service just as if still in the U.S. with the caveat of when on WiFi only. To return to local cellular service:

1. Power down your phone.
  2. Remove your Republic SIM and insert the local SIM.
  3. Power up your phone.

Using Republic service on WiFi or local cellular service is an either or proposition. Therefore, you’ll have access to your Republic voicemails and text messages on WiFi only when the Republic SIM is in your phone. Likewise, you’ll only be able to access the local cellular network when that SIM is in your phone.

You mention working in Bali for a couple of months. If all this SIM swapping seems like too much trouble, please let us know. Perhaps, we might be more creative but creativity takes some time and I wanted to offer a working solution sooner rather than later.

2 Likes

Thank you, I think it is working now. I got republic anywhere installed! apparently it’s back in the play store…

Yes this just got re-added last night

Republic Anywhere download from Play store

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer