Can I add a short data plan for a 3-day trip to Canada

international

We’re going to Ontario for a few days at the end of August. My RW photo is currently the base plan - unlimited calling and texting over cell service, but no data unless on Wifi. Friends of ours who have Verizon or AT&T iPhones can add a Canada plan for $5 a day. Can I do something similar to my RW plan? The phone I have is a Moto E 2nd Gen.

I’d like to be able to use Google Maps for navigating, and data while walking around Ottawa, looking up restaurants, museum hours etc. Usually when we travel in the U.S. we use my husbands work-issued iPhone for this sort of stuff, but his plan doesn’t work in Canada, and it’s a company phone so he’s not the owner of the account, and can’t make the changes.

We were hoping we could use my RW phone for our trip to Ontario.

Thanks!

Republic does not have any option to add service while in Canada. There will be no cell service anywhere outside US. You will have the same service on wifi, as you do at home. Meaning, you can call/text the US/Canada.

I recommend that once there you put your phone in airplane mode and then manually turn wifi back on. This will keep your phone from searching for a cell signal it will never find (and very rapidly draining your battery), but still allow you to use the only capabilities that will work there.

As far as maps go, you can use a product like Here Maps, which is designed for use without a network connection. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps)

1 Like
closed #4

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer