Can I get over the air FM radio on a current Republic phone?

I have searched the Republic website and the discussion seems to say my Republic Moto X cannot do this for reasons of its design. However, it is old and I need to replace it as it is starting to have problems. I can’t find anywhere on the site where it lists current models that support the FM chips that are in the phones.

If I can’t figure this out, I will change to a phone vendor that does support a phone with the FM chip function.

Hi @tmike,

You’ve posted your question to Republic’s Community. Community is populated by fellow members (like me) who do their best to help other members (like you). I’m afraid there isn’t a central database (so to speak) as to which new Republic phones support over the air FM radio. It’s necessary to look at the specs pages for each phone.

Moto G4 and G4 Plus both have FM according to Supported Devices - NextRadio .

I can only speak to the Samsung Galaxy S7 G930U in this regard. It has the FM radio but it isn’t enabled. I understand it is enabled on the G930V. There is rumor that the G930U’s FM radio will be enabled under Nougat here:

[PE/FR] S7 FM radio G930U (next radio app) - Samsung Community - 44699

I just installed the Next Radio App on both my Moto X Pure and Moto X (2nd Gen) … both report that the FM Radio is Unavailable

from what I can find (researched from http://www.phonescoop.com/ )

only the following current phones have FM

I’m going to dispute Phone Scoop on Samsung’s Galaxy J3. No over the air FM radio app I download to mine (including NextRadio) works. I think similarly to @billg’s S7 that functionality is not implemented for the factory unlocked variant.

I’ll second @seanr’s confirmation on the Huawei Ascend 5W.

edit for this information (don’t have one was only going by Phone Scoop

(I know they are not perfect they still don’t Huawei Ascend 5W)

If it wasn’t clear I’m disputing Phone Scoop’s information not your research. If I didn’t own the phone, I would have no reason to know they were wrong either.

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I am also trying to figure this out. Looking online I found this:
http: //freeradioonmyphone.org/ (I added a space to skip the link preview)

There is a list of android devices that have the chip activated/unlocked and should support the NextRadio App

It shows the S7Edge as an available device, but mine isn’t. It shows Sprint and ‘Other’, but still nothing.

My question to the group and to Repubiic directly: Who do we need to talk to to get this unlocked/enabled? Can we get in there with a hex editor and trip a flag from false to true? The hardware is already part of the phone, so the issue must be a simple software change right?

Thanks,
Frank

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/GalaxyS/thread-id/10657/page/6
last page of the thread is showing the latest update should enable the FM chip

1 Like

Just too add a bit more details, it should have come with the 7.0 Nougat update.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer