Can I move Republic's Galaxy S7 to T-Mobile

I would like to move my Republic Wireless purchased Samsung Galaxy S7 (SM-G930U) to my previous T-Mobile prepaid plan.

When I check the compatibility checker on T-Mobile, it says it won’t work on their network.
As far as I have been able to tell, my phone is set up for GSM.

https://www.t-mobile.com/bring-your-own-phone.html#compatibility

Is there something that I’m missing about why my unlocked phone would not work on T-Mobile?

Update: After a trip to the T-Mobile store, I now have a T-Mobile SIM (free of charge, contrary to my last experience with trying to get one) and my Galaxy S7 is working fine on T-Mobile.

T-Mobile Network

*GSM-capable phones that support Band II (1900 MHz) or IV (1700/2100 MHz) are compatible with T-Mobile’s network.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_(usa)-7960.php

yes

problem with that check is that it thinks that all RW phone are cdma…
they need to update their checker

the s7 will work with gms and cdma carriers (all)

4 Likes

Thanks … I was hoping that the issue with the checker was their not recognizing that the phone might actually be GSM instead of CDMA.

<talking to t-mobile support was PAINFUL and I didn’t get anywhere with them>

1 Like

@Graammm,

Quite a while back I worked on a band 12 problem with my S7. I bought a T-Mobile 30-day SIM and it worked just fine. After the problem was fixed I put the RW SIM back in.

Since RW’s GSM carrier is T-Mobile would you mind telling us why you want to switch to them?

Bill

2 Likes

What a terrible, terrible tool T-Mobile has provided there. I checked a bunch of different carrier/phone combinations that I knew would work with T-Mobile, but that might have the same issues as what you looked up, and they all gave the wrong answer. Terrible.

1 Like

@billg … I have access to an old prepaid T-Mobile account that you can’t get anymore. It’s more expensive than Republic Wireless (but cheaper than anything else I can find). I got tired of having problems having other companies not recognizing my RW phone number as a mobile/wireless number instead of a landline/VoIP … so I’m letting the RW phone number go.

There were certain text messages that I really want to be able to receive that I could not get with the RW number.

2 Likes

@louisdi … I would love to be able to get someone at T-Mobile to fix their compatibility checker, but it isn’t worth the pain. That said, it’s in RW’s favor as it discourages people from switching their RW phone to T-Mobile. :grinning:

1 Like

That makes sense. Thanks!

closed #9

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer