Can I purchase a phone from someplace other than Republic and use it with Republic Wireless service?

Can I purchase a phone on Amazon and use it with Republic Wireless service?

My current phone, a Moto G, which I purchased from Republic many years ago is getting old, so I want to get a new one. Can I buy a new phone on Amazon or someplace else and just switch the sim card or what-ever is inside the Moto G which makes it my phone (number)?

Hi @douglasw.4d2iu2 and welcome to the Community!

Yes, so long at the phone you purchase is listed here: Republic Wireless Phones – Republic Help. You’ll want to be certain the phone you wish to bring is an exact model number (and in some cases build number match) for those listed.

You may also find the following member contributed resources to be of interest:

It sounds like the referenced Moto G is a 1st or, perhaps, 3rd Generation model. The SIM card in those models is phone specific and cannot be used in any other phone. When sourcing newer compatible phones elsewhere, it is necessary to acquire a new SIM. As you may know, Republic offers multiple coverage options for newer phones. If comfortable doing so, please share a zip code (nothing more), so we might point you to the SIM with the best coverage for your area.

Finally, you should be aware a new phone means a new plan. Keeping your grandfathered plan with a new Republic phone isn’t possible. Republic’s new phones require use of Republic’s My Choice plan: Cell Phone Plans – Republic Wireless. In Republic’s words:

“Republic Wireless My Choice is an entirely new offer and has tons of new features like wider range of phones, more timely phone launches, faster Android updates, and a Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) experience. With these features, we’ve also made changes to price points.” Republic hopes you’ll find the value proposition to be appealing.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer