Can I Take My Republic Wireless Moto E Phone with Me to a New Service?

I moved and do not get a signal with my Republic Wireless moto e phone.

Can I get a sim car from Total Wireless and use this RW phone (instead of buying a new phone)?

It depends upon the generation of the Moto E in question.

If the Moto E in question was purchased after August of 2016, it is factory unlocked and may be activated with any service provider (domestic or international) willing to do so.

If the Moto E in question is a 1st or 2nd generation model purchased prior to August of 2016, it cannot be used with any service provider other than Republic.

Presuming it’s determined that the Moto E in question is a newer generation model purchased after August of 2016, you would need to direct the question to Total Wireless.

Lastly, would you be willing to share your new zip code (nothing more)? Republic may have an alternate coverage option that might be a fit.

1 Like

Thank you! Area code is 32658.

Hi @dominiqueg,

Candidly, I’m very sorry to say, neither of Republic’s coverage options are good in and around that part of Alachua County, FL. I did take the liberty of looking at coverage provided by AT&T and Verizon. Both look reasonably robust there.

As you probably know Total Wireless uses Verizon’s network, so Total may very well be a good choice. Should Total be unwilling to activate your Moto E or otherwise not work out, you might then take a look at providers using AT&T’s network.

1 Like

Thank so much for your time. Yeah, I’ve been with Republic for at least 7 years. But I do need better service where we moved to! Ok, thanks so much.

2 Likes

Hi @dominiqueg,

As you may know, Republic has been acquired by DISH:

DISH, in turn, has recently signed a network services agreement with AT&T that logically suggests Republic will eventually be able to offer AT&T network coverage. Since, like Republic, Total Wireless is a no contract prepaid provider an eventual return to Republic down the road should you so choose may not be out of the question.

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer