Can I transfer my Moto e4 SIM card to my new Pixel 3 phone?

While waiting for the Republic Wireless SIM card to arrive I went on the Google help site and they say I can take the SIM card out of my old Moto e4 and put it into the new Pixel 3 phone. Is that all I need to do? If so, why did Republic Wireless direct me to buy another SIM card through the Bring Your Own Phone program?

Hi @sandalphon,

If your E4 is active on the GSM network you can use the current SIM card in your new Pixel 3. If it’s on the CDMA network you would need to request a CDMA sim card.

:flight_departure:

1 Like

One little clarification… Just because your current phone may be on CDMA doesn’t mean your new phone has to be. If you happen to have a CDMA SIM currently I would take a look at the coverage options between GSM (T-Mobile) and CDMA (Sprint) and decide which is better and go that direction with the new phone.

1 Like

Thank you. That makes sense since my old Moto e4 is on CDMA and I believe the Pixel 3 is on GSM. Now I wonder if the new SIM card is going to change my phone number? That would be bad. Should I remove the old SIM card from my Moto e4 before installing the new SIM card in the Pixel 3?

Hi @sandalphon,

As long as you activate the new phone by signing into your existing RW account in the RW app and selecting your current number when offered that choice, your number won’t change. There’s no reason to do anything specific with the old SIM card in the E4.

Your coverage will change. May I ask who advised you to order a new SIM card?

Hi @sandalphon,

Your welcome. During the activation process for your new phone you will be given the choice between your current E4 number or choosing a new number. There is no need to remove the CDMA SIM as it will be deactivated once number moved to the new phone.

:flight_departure:

When I was looking at the Bring Your Own Phone pages on RW Web site I saw this under the Pixel 3 " Bring your Pixel 3
Purchase a SIM card kit to get started"
So I purchased a SIM card kit to go with the new Pixel 3.

Great! Thank you for clearing that up for me.

I see. Generically, a new member would need a SIM card to get started with us, and in this case, since your old phone had a SIM card that cannot be transferred to another phone, you would need a new SIM card. But I’m not sure our BYOP SIM card is the right one for you. I’m taking a peek at your coverage now.

It looks like your coverage with the SIM card you ordered will not be a problem, but if you notice any difference and decide you prefer the coverage you experienced with the Moto E4, please use these instructions to request a replacement SIM card:

Thank you for checking on that. If I have any coverage issues with the new SIM card I will request a 3.0 CDMA SIM card.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer