Can I use an additional provider for lacking coverage?

I have a Moto E. I can’t find it listed to compare it to the new phones.

I go on bike and out of state trips a lot. Frequently I do not have service while my partners who have ATT DO have service. This includes areas on Sprint’s Map that says there is coverage. I’ve had Tmobile before and their service in town was good but out of town was terrible. This is being a big problem because I can’t coordinate when separated, regroup, communicate etc, no internet, no service, though my friends all have service. I saw the new phones can take a chip. I don’t quite understand what that is for. But I was thinking, can I buy an ATT minutes card, and when RW fails me, I can use the ATT minutes as needed when critical?

0 Likes

I don’t see a problem with having a second SIM for a different GSM provider. I switched my S7 between the RW SIM and a T-Mobile SIM a few times without incident but your results going to AT&T could be different. Also, T-Mobile (used by RW) roams on AT&T towers but they do cherry-pick towers so I can’t tell you if it would roam on the towers in the area of concern to you. Also, I believe you will only have talk and text when connected to a T-Mobile roaming partner.

0 Likes

The Moto E will not work with an AT&T SIM card. The Republic Wireless Moto E will only work on the Republic Wireless CDMA (Sprint) cellular network.

SIM Cards

0 Likes

Re-read the last sentence in the OP.

0 Likes

billg wrote:

Re-read the last sentence in the OP.

Understand the first sentence in the OP and feel free to delete our replies.

0 Likes

Hi @datawolf,

What you propose would work with a new Republic 3.0 phone but not your Moto E. I’ve swapped a number of SIMs both domestic and international (including AT&T) into my 3.0 phones. You would switch between Republic and whomever you decide to use for secondary service by swapping SIMs. I’m not sure how practical that is while biking but if you decide to go this route I suggest investing in one of these: Amazon.com: sim carrying case.

0 Likes

rolandh wrote:

I suggest investing in one of these: Amazon.com: sim carrying case.

And do the card changes in a clear plastic bag.

0 Likes

williamo.vkbg0s wrote:

rolandh wrote:

I suggest investing in one of these: Amazon.com: sim carrying case.

And do the card changes in a clear plastic bag.

That could take a pretty big bag and one does risk suffocation. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I got the picture of Howie Mandel’s Bubble Boy Routine in my head now changing Sim cards thanks.

*** ~~ßocephous™***

0 Likes

Learned the plastic bag trick after loosing springs and other small small parts while disassembling switches or other launching/small devices. It would be hard to find a SIM card in a leaf covered bike path.

0 Likes

That’s a pretty good idea. I’ve got a mattress bag that a person could easily fit into. :expressionless:

0 Likes

@billg

Howie Mandel In A Bubble Floating In Space - YouTube

0 Likes

Sorry to steal from this thread but I don’t know how to send private messages yet. Billg you said you have had success using Tmo SIM. Was this from a normal service Tmo SIM or a prepaid service Tmo SIM?

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Likes

Hi @jeffm.n2eewc,

I believe, like me, @billg has swapped a TMO prepaid SIM into his Republic 3.0 phone. I’ve successfully tested prepaid AT&T, TMO and Three (UK) prepaid SIMs in multiple Republic 3.0 phones. There’s no reason to believe a postpaid SIM would work differently. The ability to change service by swapping SIMs is the nature of GSM technology.

0 Likes

closed #15
0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer