Can I use an OTG cable to plug a full-size keyboard into my Moto E (2nd Gen.) phone?

I just cannot compose text messages that are decently grammatical and spelled correctly without spending all day trying to write a short message, and some people simply will not use a phone to talk on but insist on text messages, plus they never check their email accounts. I would like to plug in a full-size keyboard into my Moto E (2nd Gen.) phone by using an OTG cable. I have read that some phones will not permit this. Will my phone function with a full-size keyboard plugged in via an OTG cable? If not, what to do that is not ridiculously complicated? (I certainly don’t plan to carry around a keyboard with me, but if I keep one in my car and another at my desk, I will have access at critical times away from home when I really need to write something longer than two words.)

Does the Motorola Moto E (2nd Gen) support USB OTG?

what I found is that yes the Moto E 2nd LTE (which is what Republic used does support USB OTG

@rickc.agx2ie

Go on amazon and buy the keyboard folios for tablets.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_36_0?fst=as%3Aoff%2Cp90x%3A1&rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A541966%2Cn%3A2348628011%2Cn%3A2348…

*** ~~Bocephous***

Hi @rickc.agx2ie,

I happen to have a Moto E2, a USB OTG cable and a spare USB keyboard, so I tested this scenario and indeed it does work. I’m wondering if you wouldn’t find a Bluetooth keyboard more convenient. I’s able to test that as well but not until later today.

Thanks. As with Bluetooth vs wired headsets, no doubt Bluetooth would be more convenient here, too, but OTG cables are cheap, as are standard keyboards (of which I have a couple of extras anyway), and I don’t plan on spending a lot of time sending text messages but will do it only in a couple of cases where evidently hard-core voice-communication and email avoiders—with whom for substantial reasons I must interact from time to time—are concerned. One of these folks doesn’t even have voice mail set up, and the other never checks, so circumstances force the use of text messaging. Fortunately, most people are not so far toward the left edge of the bell curve of communication to obstruct all but one form of it.

Another route that some of us have reverted to is the use of Voice to Text … which has gotten infinitely better in the last few years. Just tested on my Moto E2 (used the latest PSA: Google Messenger Now Android Messages) and in a three sentence it didn’t miss a word … much better than my fat fingers

I was about to post the same thing @jben . I agree completely the the ‘voice-to-text’ feature has greatly improved in accuracy. The only downside would be if you need to use a lot of special characters.

Message an
Expert customer