Can I use my Moto X (1st gen) in Toronto Canada

Can I use Sprint Open World cell service in Canada?

Hi @ericf.p52ay1,

I’m afraid not. Your phone will work in Canada but on WiFi only. Details follow:

Republic Wireless doesn’t offer international cellular coverage. When on unrestricted WiFi, you will, generally, be able to make calls and send text messages to U.S. and Canadian numbers and otherwise use your phone as if you were home.

You might temporarily switch to the $5 WiFi only plan. This will save some money while on your trip. More to the point, doing so will make sure that your text messages reach you while out of the country. If you don’t switch to the WiFi only plan you may not receive your text messages as Republic Wireless will attempt to route them to your phone via the cellular network, which you can’t access. This is the nature of Republic’s hybrid WiFi/cell technology.

Depending on your current plan, you may need to wait for your bill cycle date to change your plan to the $5 WiFi only plan. For more on that, please open the Republic app on your phone and quote, for me, the words describing your current plan underneath your phone number.

Additionally, I suggest placing your phone in airplane mode then manually reenabling WiFi. Doing so will help preserve battery life otherwise wasted while your phone attempts to locate a cellular signal it’s incapable of connecting to.

If cellular access is a must while traveling, you might consider renting a phone for that purpose: International phone rentals for Talk Abroad - Cellular Abroad.

@rolandh: I just did a search regarding service in Canada and found your post. We will be spending a couple weeks in Canada later this year so I want to make sure that I fully understand the coverage situation. Or apparently “lack of coverage” situation. So there is no voice, text, or data available via cellular service in Canada, on a RW phone using either T-Mobile or Sprint? But all 3 are available on unrestricted WiFi? That is disappointing, although not totally unexpected.

On a somewhat related question, I am assuming that I could still use my phone with an offline GPS app like “Here WeGo”, if I preload the Canada map when I am on Wifi. Do you see any problem with this?

Hi @fisher99,

On a somewhat related question, I am assuming that I could still use my phone with an offline GPS app like “Here WeGo”, if I preload the Canada map when I am on Wifi. Do you see any problem with this?
No problem whatsoever. It should work exactly as you describe.

I just did a search regarding service in Canada and found your post. We will be spending a couple weeks in Canada later this year so I want to make sure that I fully understand the coverage situation. Or apparently “lack of coverage” situation. So there is no voice, text, or data available via cellular service in Canada, on a RW phone using either T-Mobile or Sprint? But all 3 are available on unrestricted WiFi? That is disappointing, although not totally unexpected.
No RW cellular coverage but there are options for cellular coverage in Canada for those of us with 3.0 phones. Fair warning, the Canadian cellular market makes the U.S. big 4 seem reasonable by comparison. Within that context, these folks don’t look bad: Canadian Travel SIM Cards – Similicious.

I appreciate your taking the time to search out previous answers. In this case, I tailored the answer for the OP’s referenced Moto X1. A more complete, albeit more general, answer here: International Travel with a Republic Phone.

@rolandh: Thanks for your reply and confirmation regarding Here WeGo. I have a 3.0 phone (Nexus 6P) so will check into the Canadian travel SIM card and also the International Travel link. Thanks again

I have a MOTO X 3G, will my phone work in Halifax/NovaScotia? Concerned more about wifi, if I upgrade to 4G will this help? Many thanks!

Hi @jeffb.s0rs71,

A Republic Moto G3 will work in Canada anywhere you have access to unrestricted WiFi. It will not work (under any circumstances) on a Canadian cellular network. An upgrade to a plan offering 4G data speeds won’t change that. More here:

I am currently in Toronto, Canada and on wifi but I can’t send a text or make a call. If tells me no cellular network available. What do I need to do?

Republic phones don’t have any cellular network in Canada, but if you’re connected to an unrestricted WiFi network, then you should be able to make calls and send texts via WiFi. To verify, open the Republic App on your phone. The first screen should say “Wifi SSID. Great. WiFi calls, messages and data.” If it doesn’t, you’re on a restricted WiFi network that doesn’t support calls and messages, and you’ll have to find an unrestricted network that you can connect to.

Just to clarify RW has no outbound cell service or network in Canada. 3.0 RW phones may be able to use a local or int. SIM on Canadian networks if desired or when no WiFi is available.