Can't access WiFi (won't let me turn it on)

I have a Moto X, Android 5.1, which was working fine until last night when it said WiFi turned off. When I tried to turn on Wifi, it wouldn’t let me. Trying different options to do so, nothing would takw (yes, I turned the phone off, then on; I cleared the cache and data, etc.)

Two things which caught my eye:

1. I have two apps, Republic Wireless, and Republic Telephony. Not seen the Telephony one before.

2. I had a new message I hadn’t seen before either: “WiFi settings updated - Republic enabled the WiFi radio”

Now, I have no idea if the above have anything to do with my problem, but if someone could address this if they’ve had the same trouble, please help!

Try putting the phone in Safe Mode . If everything works in Safe Mode, you may have an app that is misbehaving/interfering. It’s also possible that you have a hardware failure. Since you’ve cleared the cache, the next step after trying Safe Mode is probably a Factory Reset .

The following two observations are normal. There are two apps used for Republic Wireless’s hybrid service. Also, if the cell radio is disabled, the Republic Wireless app will attempt to turn it on whenever the Republic Wireless app starts.

1. I have two apps, Republic Wireless, and Republic Telephony. Not seen the Telephony one before.
  1. I had a new message I hadn’t seen before either: “WiFi settings updated - Republic enabled the WiFi radio”

Some apps that use Bluetooth interfere with WiFi operation. Safe Mode should help determine if this is the issue.

Hi @zaneg,

Please do** not** perform a factory reset. Here’s why:

As it now stands, you have a phone that works on cell. You can make and receive calls and texts.

If there is a hardware failure preventing the Wi-Fi from working, you will not be able to sign back into the Wi-Fi network after the reset, and the phone will not be able to re-establish your credentials with RW, so the phone will no longer work for calls and texts on cell.

For that phone, a sure sign is if you try to turn on Bluetooth and it also fails to turn on, the phone has experienced a hardware failure.

Okay, I started in Safe Mode and was able to gain access to WiFi immediately. So, I figured, Great! I’ll restart again without invoking Safe Mode (I assume if one doesn’t choose Safe Mode the phone will start up normally).

Upon restart, the phone accessed WiFi once again, so I guess I’m in the clear? I have no idea as to how anything was reset, etc. since I did nothing but start in Safe Mode, then start normally. Technology boggles the mind sometime. Will let you know if something changes…

Message an
Expert customer