Can't activate new phone

What phone do you have? Moto G6 Play

What plan are you on? Not sure

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? All 3

Issue Description

I am replacing my Moto g5 Plus with a G^ Play. I removed the sim card from the G5 Plus and installed it in the G^ Play. Setup says “Incompatible SIM”

Hi @patricias.we4f8t and welcome to the Community!

Some but not all SIMs move from phone to phone. It sounds like the one you wish to move from your Moto G5 Plus is one that won’t do so.

To make the determination, please examine the SIM. Is the lettering for the word Republic a mix of green and black? Or is the lettering for the word Republic all gray or all black?

Thanks for the quick reply. I can’t check now but will check later when I have time. I will let you know.

1 Like

Hi @patricias.we4f8t,

If the SIM is back in the G5 Plus and that phone is with you, here’s another way to check:

I think you got it. The G5 is CDMA and I think the G6 needs GSM. Do I just buy a new one from Republic? Any idea how long it takes?

Hi @patricias.we4f8t,

The G6 is capable of working with either of Republic’s cellular network partners (GSM or CDMA), however, one or the other may have better coverage in your area .

Would you be willing to share a zip code (nothing more), so we might ascertain coverage options with Republic in your area?

1 Like

The CDMA SIM for your G6 cannot be bought directly, please see here for details on how to request it

My zip is 27511. I have good coverage using my G5 and another G6. My new G6 says the SIM card (from my G5) is not compatible.

Good Morning @patricias.we4f8t,

For you and others who may be following the topic, please allow me to provide some context. Depending upon phone and location, Republic provisions cellular coverage with one of two network partners.

One partner operates a GSM network and is T-Mobile. Republic’s other partner operates a CDMA network and is Sprint. Your Moto G5 Plus is provisioned for CDMA cellular coverage using Sprint’s network. Active CDMA SIMs do not move from phone to phone, which is why you’re getting the incompatible SIM message.

Your new Moto G6 Play is capable of being provisioned by Republic with either GSM (using T-Mobile’s network) or CDMA (using Sprint’s network) cellular coverage, however, you’ll need a new SIM. Looking at the coverage maps in your area (the reason I asked for the zip code), either coverage option looks good.

I’m going to send some additional detail to you privately. Please don’t respond to that private message here in the public thread.

OK, thanks…

Message an
Expert customer