Can't believe I'm doing a review :updated

I had no plans on posting a review because I was going to use my (original) Pixel for two maybe threeeee more years. *Sigh * It was not to be.

A few weeks ago it start showing the symptoms of the dreaded Microphone crack issue known to original Pixel users. No safe mode nor factory reset could save it. The phone would freeze in my hands only being able to be brought back by a hard hold of the power button. This continued for days. To add to my woe during resets of the phone I failed to go into a setting and keep Firefox off in the background. In 1 day I lost 3/4 of my 1gb data plan that had JUST renewed. :cry:

I needed a new phone.
My first smart phone (with Republic!) was…is (ya my brother still is using it), my Moto X. I decided to go back to the brand. After looking over the specs I went with the G7.
I ordered it via the Republic web site and had it in my hands less then 48 hours later.
Nice job Republic!

The Review:

I love my Pixel and had no expectations of enjoying the Moto G7 as much. The Pixel spoiled me with monthly updates which are not as frequent in the Moto brands. The Pixel gave me (for the life of the phone!) free Full size uploads of any pictures and videos I took with it. That was hard to lose. Until I realized I can STILL use the Pixel as a camera and upload as usual! The Pixel has NFC, the G7 does not. No more Google pay. That was a big loss to me moving to the G7.

The Moto G7 screen is not only bigger but MUCH brighter and easier to see than the Pixel, it has Android Pie AND will get to Q (at least) while the Pixel has stopped at Pie.*
*Tho it is looking like the original Pixel might get Q
The finger Print sensor is on the back just as the Pixel, just as l liked it. (Heck even the Moto X had the dimple in the back getting you ready for a sensor why back then! :wink:
One placement I find annoying is having the Power button below the Volume keys. It seems silly and counter intuitive, but I’m sure I will get used to it.
I did find some old friends I have not seen in a long time, the Moto camera wrist twist and flash light chop-chop.
The G7 responds to me better…
It was only $300 new VS $800 for the Pixel (new)…
It’s got a HEADPHONE JACK YA ALL! :tada:
I love the phone…

Making my day a little sweeter. I looked at my data expecting to see the maybe 300MB left. I was shocked to see I got a 1 full GB with the phone. Thank you again Republic! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Camera comparison:
First shots are the original Pixel, following shot is the Moto G7. Last two are inside w/flash.

The camera on the G7 wins some and looses some. The Pixel camera holds up very well for a 2+ year phone!

Conclusion:
While I still would have liked to keep the old phone, circumstances being as they are, I am happy with the new G7. I had to give up some features I enjoyed, but gained back others.

Maybe this says it all.
I don’t think I will be going back to the flagship Pixel brand. They are very good phones, but I don’t think I would ever get myself to spend $800-$1000 for a new one when I see what $300 can get me.
:turtle:

12 Likes
Looking to replace my Huawei to MotoG6
Message an
Expert customer