Can't get a network signal but maps show plenty of coverage

I purchased 2 Nexus 6P phones about 7 weeks ago from Republic. They were then upgraded to Android 7 / Nougat. Both have been working flawlessly on our home wi-fi (in Richmond, Texas) and on cellular networks around town when we’re away from home. A few days ago, my wife went to Goshen, Indiana to spend several weeks taking care of ill relatives at their home. They don’t have wifi in their house. My wife’s phone says there is no connection; this is confirmed by the google device locator (https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager). She has to borrow a phone to talk to me just a couple of minutes each day. Her phone is charged and on. I have entered the relative’s home’s physical address into the coverage maps for Republic, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T. They all show coverage at that house address, ranging from 4G LTE to good to fair. We have the 2GB plan on both phones and haven’t used even 20% of that. At Settings > Usage > Cellular, the Cellular Data button is on/green. On her phone, at Settings > Wireless & networks > More > Cellular networks, Data roaming is on/green, Preferred network type is set to LTE, Enhanced 4G LTE Mode is on/green, and Access Point Names shows Republic wholesale selected; Republic IMS is not selected. What can we do to get her phone to connect a cellular network up there? There’s not much hope of getting Internet and a wi-fi put in that house. She is not very technical, but I can hopefully walk her through. Thank you. Mark

Of the coverage maps you looked at only the T-Mobile map works. You want to drop a pin at her address and select a phone type. If the Nexus 6p isn’t one of the listed types try the Samsung S7. If the box that appears shows fair coverage sometimes indoors then this is most likely the problem. In my experience “fair” means next to none unless you stand outside on a hill.

If the TMobile coverage is marginal and if she going to be there for a few weeks, see if a Tracfone SIM and BYOP plan will work. Use your phone’s information to see if the Nexus phone is compatible with Tracfone. She will have to remove the Republic SIM and replace it with the Tracfone SIM while she is there.

Phones & Airtime | Online Benefits | TracFone Wireless

Edit

I see Tracfone is offering free overnight shipping when you buy the SIM and air time card. http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/PhoneList.do?action=view&specialOffers=true&_ga=null

Hi @markv.3fafuq

I can confirm @billg 's assessment about the GSM’s proper coverage map. It all looks great zoomed out, but as I zoom in I find only fair coverage.

I have zero coverage indoors and literally have to walk outside and up the hill (street) to grab a signal. Me and my X Pure are hoping RW can bring CDMA(Sprint) to 3.0 soon.

c1tobor wrote:

Hi @markv.3fafuq

I can confirm @billg 's assessment about the GSM’s proper coverage map. It all looks great zoomed out, but as I zoom in I find only fair coverage.

I have zero coverage indoors and literally have to walk outside and up the hill (street) to grab a signal. Me and my X Pure are hoping RW can bring CDMA(Sprint) to 3.0 soon.

When I had the T-Mobile SIM in my S7 I contacted their support to ask why they didn’t roam on the AT&T tower that floods my home and the surrounding area with a strong signal. I was told they don’t roam on towers in areas where their signal strength is deemed adequate. My phone spends about half the time connected to that tower for emergency calls only. I’ve lost confidence in their “fair” coverage. Even when I walk to a high point making a call is problematic.

billg wrote:

If the box that appears shows fair coverage sometimes indoors then this is most likely the problem. In my experience “fair” means next to none unless you stand outside on a hill.

In my “fair” case no issues with calls or data even inside my home. No signal blocking hills to climb nearby.

Message an
Expert customer