Can't get Apple Mail on Moto G3

I’m on a Moto G3, and am on the 1 GB data plan.

My Moto G3 recently stopped allowing me to send mail via my Apple account. I could receive mail. I deleted the account, now I can’t get it to work at all. I enter my Apple username, and the application-specific password that Apple generates for me, but then the system gets hung up, and I’m left with an endless Gmail “connecting” screen, that never connects. Any suggestions?

Don’t you want to use this app?

Hi @robertr.5uikh0,

I have Apple’s iCloud email working on multiple Republic phones. As a starting point, may I know what you’re entering for your username. Just the part after your user name. Is it mac.com, me.com or icloud.com?

It shouldn’t be necessary, Gmail works just fine with Apple’s iCloud mail.

I have a mac.com address.

Thank you for the additional context! If you have a mac.com address, you’ve been an Apple user for some time. Me too!

Unfortunately, Gmail chokes on mac.com addresses. Fortunately, it’s easy to work around. Please try using your user name @icloud.com instead of @mac.com with the application specific password provided by Apple.

Some background, mac.com originated when Apple branded its cloud services as .Mac. Then Apple rebranded .Mac as MobileMe and we gained me.com addresses. Finally, Apple settled on iCloud and iCloud.com email addresses. Also, fortunately Apple had the foresight to map both mac.com and me.com email addresses to icloud.com email addresses. In other words, if your email address were robertr.5uikh0@mac.com, then robertr.5uikh0@icloud.com goes to the same mailbox. You don’t need to tell others to stop sending email to you at mac.com, Apple takes care of and redirects everything sent to mac.com to iCloud.com in the background.

4 Likes

Thanks! My workaround was to use Outlook for the Mac.com mail, but I’ll try this.

2 Likes
closed #8

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer