Can't hear anyone on phone but all other sounds work

I can call someone and connect but I can’t hear anything. They can hear me. I can launch Youtube and hear that fine. All beeps seem to work. I can call myself and the ringer works but I can’t hear any thing from the telephone. Anyone know the fix for this?

1 Like

@josephf.say4f2

Does the phone work ok on speaker phone or with a headset plugged in?

*** ~~ßocephous™***

1 Like

Yes, I plugged in headphones and can hear my self when I call.

@josephf.say4f2

Make sure the headphone port is clean and clear of debris/lint. Plug and unplug the the headphones a dozen times and try the phone earpiece normally. I want to help further but it would help knowing the exact phone you have?

*** ~~ßocephous™***

Sorry, I put that in the tag line and I should have mentioned it in the narrative. It is a Moto X. I have never used a headphone in it. I put headphones in and out for a dozen times and still the same issue. I can hear someone speak through headphones but not through the normal phone speaker. They can hear me and I can hear audio through the speaker for any number of other applications. strange!

Hi @josephf.say4f2,

From your description, it sounds like your phone’s earpiece speaker may be defective. When you hear sound in other applications, those typically use the main rather than the earpiece speaker. If you use speakerphone when on a call, does that work?

Yes, I just tried that and I can use it on speaker phone.

Hi @josephf.say4f2,

More likely than not, your X2’s earpiece speaker has failed. The other possibility is a software glitch. Here’s what can be done to rule out the latter:

1. Clearing the Cache
  2. Safe Mode
  3. Factory Reset

Please stop and test after each numbered step. If after step 1, the issue has resolved, you’re done. If step 2, “cures” things, you have a third party app creating a conflict and will need to find and remove that app. Safe Mode is intended to be diagnostic by temporarily disabling third party apps. It’s not intended that you run your phone in Safe Mode permanently. If the issue survives step 3, that would confirm hardware failure and you’d be looking at repair or replacement.

Thank you so much for the helpful information. I think you are correct. None of the software fixes worked so I think the speaker is out. I ordered a new phone. Thank you again.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer