Can't make calls or send texts on anything but LTE it seems

Moto x pure on 3.0

Google messenger

Phone works normally on wifi

When I’m driving outside of the city I live, which has LTE service, my phone barely works. When driving I will see full bars(assuming this means 3G) or I’ll see full bars with a tiny H or H+ above it. My phone will sit in dialing mode and never connect. Any text I try to send will not go through. I know when i see the R above full bars that means roaming and that never lets me use my phone at all but whyt doesnt it work when not on LTE but not roaming. Very frustrating. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

1 Like

My guess is the that phone isn’t completely activated on TMobile’s network. Have you tried going to a spot on TMobile’s network where it says in one of little hexagons (zoom it) that the signal is excellent and then turned the phone off and back on?

4G LTE Coverage Map | Check Your 4G LTE Cell Phone Coverage | T-Mobile

You can also try and reset the phone credentials.

Reset Republic Credentials
(Note: Your phone must be connected to WiFi to complete this step. For a video of this step, please see How to VOIP Your Phone )

1. Open the dialer, then dial ##8647##
  2. The dialer will clear, and the Republic arc notification icon will reappear after about a minute. (If the arc notification icon does not reappear, restart your phone. The arc should then appear after your phone restarts.)

Also Republic support is available. Use the chat line for faster service.

Republic Help

one possibility is the phone is roaming (with out showing the little R over the cell bars*) in an area with out roaming data (even the little Republic needs to work correctly)

one way this can be check is though an app that reports the tower provider ( Signal Check Lite | Google Play store)

• this seams to happen in areas that the GSM backbone provider has deal to use the roaming partner as native but it’s MVNO do not

The Hs are for HSPA & HSPA+, G3 as you assumed. Sounds like you have normal service in the city and you are likely moving through areas with older towers or GSM provider’s partner networks when roaming indicated. Read the major carriers are steadily replacing HSPA towers withe LTE.

I have been able to make calls and had slow data the times Hs have been present. I’m normally stationary versus moving, possible that makes a difference in some fringe areas.

1 Like

This is happening to a few folks, so it’s not just you or the area you are in. I think this is the first time I have seen a report of it with the H+ indicator though. If you search on “H cell data” you will see quite a few threads on this topic. It appears there may be more than one reason for it to happen. But the results are the same.

Just to be clear this isn’t always the case for everyone who gets the H or H+ indicator but technically it should be displaying an R and not an H. I’m pretty sure RW has made some inquiries to T-Mo about this but as with the – mercifully few – partners that Sprint uses they can’t force the roaming partner to comply, they can only raise the issue with them and hope they will honor their agreement. Additionally roaming agreements can be local rather than national.

Just the same they are sending the wrong indication to your phone because they aren’t providing data at all much less high speed data. It might be a good idea to start a chat session with Support just so they have a record of this for reference.

The H vs R indication has been widely reported. However, that does not explain inability to call or text…as that is supposed to work even in a roaming area. If this is a recent activation then @marshallh’s suggestion might work. Otherwise, a help ticket is the best course of action.

https://help.republicwireless.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Message an
Expert customer