Can't make calls over wifi. "Calls over cell, messages and data over wifi"

What phone do you have? Moto G5 Plus

What plan are you on? Unlimited text and calling. 1G data.

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Includes data

Issue Description

Phone started showing the following message overnight - "calls over cell, messages and data over wifi". I am in an area without cell service, so my phone will not make calls. I solved this before by using the Refresh Republic code *#*#8647#*#*, but this time it does not work. I also shut off the phone for one hour, restarted, and nothing changed. Have restarted several times.

My wife has the identical phone and her’s is working. Mine won’t. My phone is showing the Republic Wireless arc (outline only). My wife’s phone shows the arc (full).

I just looked at my RW app and tried to reset connections. It says Messaging: Connected. WiFi calling: Not connected. “Please reach out to our support team for further assistance”.

Any suggestions?

As your wife’s phone works and yours says the above, I would take the advice of Republic’s App

Hi @papermaker,

Have you tried rebooting your WiFi network? Sometimes, even with other devices on the same network are working, rebooting the network can clear up this kind of issue.

1 Like

Rebooted the WiFi network and no change. Still "calls over cell, messages and data over WiFi. And now both of our phones have the same problem.

What happens if you try tapping that reset connections button a couple of times?

Just tried tapping the reset connections button several times, probably 6 or 8 times. It still says the same thing.
It says Messaging: Connected. WiFi calling: Not connected. “Please reach out to our support team for further assistance”.

Thanks. I was seeing it on my phone briefly on tapping the button, but then it would clear itself up, and we were able to get the message to stay on a lab phone, but it then cleared up with a second tap.

If you happen to be going anywhere, you might try stopping by somewhere like a McDonald’s or a Lowes hardware - somewhere that has internet reaching the parking lot - and see if the phone remains in that state on another network.

Thanks. I will try finding an open wifi network to see if I can make a call. Stay tuned.

1 Like

About 20 minutes ago both of our phones started operating normally. We don’t have a clue about what happened, just that both phones started working normally. Please let us know if anyone did anything to make this happen…thanks.

This is really weird!!! Just a few minutes ago, my phone (which was active) just went back to the mode of “calls over cell, messages and data over wifi”. My wife’s phone is still active on WIFI. This is really weird.

Hi @papermaker,

I assure you we’re not making random changes that would cause this kind of behavior. Events like this usually suggest something odd is going on with the WiFi network you’re on. You may be experiencing some interference from another nearby network or even an appliance.

You may want to take a look at the “Quick check” portion of @jben’s Topic on staying WiFi-first. It may seem a bit daunting, but it is very well-written to make everything as clear as possible, and our Community can help you if you have any questions:
https://forums.republicwireless.com/t/router-tweaks-keep-wifi-1st-a-community-guide/8773#heading–quick-check. I’d be particularly interested to see what your results are with the WiFi analyzer app he recommends.

1 Like

My phone started working again last evening, and both phones are working properly now. The only place I remember having this problem is at our remote mountain house wifi network, although I can’t be 100% sure. If the problem recurs, I will try to find a nearby local network to see if I have a problem there.

Thank you all for your help.

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer