CDMA vs. GSM

how do I get CDMA coverage for my phone instead of GSM?

1 Like

Why would you want to?

Well, say they had better cell coverage from the CDMA provider than the GSM provider? Makes sense to me, that’s the way tha it is here, I have virtually no coverage from the GSM provider. Not sure why you’re asking them why they’d want to? Seems clear to me…

1 Like

At this point if you phone has GSM coverage it would not be possible to get a CDMA sim card for it. What model phone do you have??

1 Like

Currently the only way to get CDMA on a new phone is to buy a CDMA/GSM phone from Republic and let their computer select the best network. Hopefully the computer picks Sprint for you.

and what are the Vegas odds of getting CDMA

there no guarantee way to get CDMA without using a used 2.0 Moto Phone

this will be the case until Republic start have a selectable option on the ordering page

if Republic ever does a BYOD CDMA option keep in mind that the Moto Z, Moto Z Play, Huawei Ascend 5W, Samsung Galaxy J3 and the Samsung Galaxy S6 do not even have CDMA radio so it will never be an option for those phones

1 Like

I bet if folks start sending their CDMA/GSM phone back for a refund, the odds go up.

That’s is why I said CDMA/GSM and not GSM only phones. But for folks who don’t know that some of Republic’s new phones are GSM only, I’m sure that information helps.

and that’s the reason I put the information out there most people are uninformed

I personal did like how this soft launch works

tell customers it’s GSM them switch it out with out telling them because a computer says CDMA would be better

mean while there are many who know GSM will not work for them but can not seam to get a CDMA lotto ( which is what the soft launch really is

my other issue with it is they do’t even say which phones may get select and they don’t list which phones have CDMA in there spec sheets,

marshallh wrote:

I bet if folks start sending their CDMA/GSM phone back for a refund, the odds go up.

That is an asinine approach.

1 Like

I’ve only seen one report of the computer not choosing the best network, and for that particular individual, his needs are probably not typical.

Obviously, if you buy a GSM only phone, there is no way to get Sprint to operate on the phone. I don’t know if the computer flags this issue, do you?

For the most part, I think the computer will pick the best network, assuming one buys a CDMA/GSM phone. Unfortunately, this doesn’t help the folks who bought their phones elsewhere.

Perhaps, but many of us would argue that the current setup is even more asinine.

If it was me, I would just move a different carrier. But I’m planning to do that when one of my phones breaks anyhow.

Anyhow, I’m not seeing a bunch of complains about the computer picking the wrong network. So all this banter may be much to do about nothing.

the thing is they never said which phones may do this just some phones

Republic Wireless 3.0 CDMA Update

Beginning today, some phones purchased through our online store by existing members will come with CDMA coverage. In order to ensure that you receive the best service possible, when you order a new phone, our automated system will check certain information about your order and your existing account to determine what type of coverage is best for you.

I know I need a CDMA to work in my plane of work (no WiFi access but repeaters for AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint) other wise GSM is fine for my area Republic can not know I need a CDMA so if I were to order mo matter which phone it would be GSM. no computer will predict I would be unhappy with GSM in this area

1 Like

Great approach. Keep buying a phone until you might get a CDMA phone. Waste your time and money (shipping isn’t refund) and cost Republic money having to honor the money back guarantee. The more reasonable approach would be to wait until the full launch or find another carrier that can take care of your needs. I would bet Republic would hope you wait, but would understand if you can’t.

I get wanting to have a choice. I am waiting on upgrading my wife’s phone until their is a CDMA option. Frankly, we might just ride her 1.0 plan Moto X 2nd Gen phone until it dies because as much as a preach data savings techniques she really could give a rat’s behind.

drm186 wrote:

and what are the Vegas odds of getting CDMA

there no guarantee way to get CDMA without using a used 2.0 Moto Phone

this will be the case until Republic start have a selectable option on the ordering page

Vegas odds 1 & None.

*** ~~ßocephous™***

1 Like

coreyk wrote:

marshallh wrote:

That is an asinine approach.

For once I might actually agree with you, Corey. It is an asinine approach on Republic’s part to just send what they think will work best, based on their shipping address (which may or may not be where they use the phone most or need the most reliable coverage) – it might as well be randomly chosen. It will surely result in an increase in returns due to unsatisfactory service.

What they ought to do is have a choice with three options:

• I prefer CDMA and the associated coverage map looks good for my needs
  • I prefer GSM ans the associated coverage map looks good for my needs
  • I don’t know which would work best - please choose for me (don’t worry - if what we choose doesn’t work out, you can swap it for the other within 15 days)
2 Likes

You now that isn’t what I meant. I guess Republic could have not done the soft launch and just left GSM as the only option. I tend believe that a majority of people do just want to be told what would be the best coverage. We are living in a society that wants things handed to them. I am hoping that the full launch will give us some of the things you mentioned. Until then, this is what customers (which I am pretty sure you aren’t even a customer anymore) options are.

Message an
Expert customer