Cell Partners, Phones, and More Questions

Good morning! I’m the proud owner of an aging Moto X1 (what my girlfriend calls a “grandpa phone”) and looking to upgrade in the next few months. I have a few questions.

1. Most importantly, I live near Sprint towers, and get better reception than my girlfriend who owns a Galaxy S7. I’m hoping she’ll be able to swap out her GSM card for a CDMA, and I’d like to stay with CDMA. My question is: I live pretty far away from towers belonging to those 2 carriers, but right next to a Verizon tower and an AT&T tower - any chance RW will be teaming up with one of those two carriers in the future?

2. I’m guessing the pre-3.0 plans are gone for good, which sucks because I use some data, but not much (typically a few hundred MB per pay period), and LOVE my refund plan. This and looking for a deal on a new phone are why I’m probably going to stick it out for a while and see if I can nab a deal, since I’ll be paying more per month. I love the Google line of phones as most of them aren’t very large, have good UI (like Motorolla), and should receive updates for quite a while (Moto X1s can’t update past 5.1/lollipop). Unfortunately, the Pixels are expensive (and it looks like the Pixel 2 will continue that trend) and the Nexus line isn’t sticking around. The Moto G5+ ticked most of my boxes, but has an LCD display, and despite it being listed in yesterday’s RW “Moto Deals” e-mail, is the same price as it has been for weeks. Other than the Pixel line, does anyone know of any upcoming mainstream phones RW might be supporting late this year or early next year?

3. If I purchase a BYOD-listed phone that supports CDMA, will I be able to use my same SIM from my Moto X1 in it and activate it? I know BYOD phones are GSM by default, but I’m wondering if this can be done, or if I’d need to have a new SIM sent to me for activation.

4. This probably belongs in the Problems section, but my phone will frequently lag even if not many applications are running. I did a full reset a couple months ago and have a few GBs of free space available, but the issue’s back again. Any apps or tweaks that might get it back up and running faster?

Thanks for your time!

a simple help ticket can start the process to convert her to CDMA Republic Help

unlikely as those two carriers are much more expensive for their MVNO as the 2 being used by Republic currently

yep the pre 3.0 plans are gone unless you are using a Legacy Phone (which are the Moto X 1st, 2nd, Moto E 1st, 2nd, and Moto G 1st, 3rd)
once the Pixel 2 is out you may find deals on refurbished and used Pixel 1 on the market (the Nexus line is currently dead with the Nexus 6P being the last one) the next lower cost high end phone I would expect Republic to carry would be the new Moto X4 (though Republic will not comment until it’s approved and there no guarantee it will be approved (other phones I expect and am surprised are not already approved are the Samsung S8 and S* Plus but these are not cost friendly as the Moto phones)\Republic is also having a technical issue activating new Moto Phones on CDMA (and why the Moto E4 and E4 plus are currently GSM only but this should CDMA should come some time for these phones

any phone that Republic can activate on CDMA can be converted if one bring a BYOD GSM (GSM should be activated first then a support ticket (phones include the Moto G4, Moto G4 Plus, Moto G4 Play, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X Pure, Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Nexus 6, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Pixel and Pixel XL

I find a full factory reset restores some performance on the older phones but it also just starting to show it’s age

Thanks for the response!

I’ve prodded her again this morning to get on it :slight_smile:

Aah, that sucks. I suppose that’s the price to pay for living out in the boonies.

I was looking into getting a Moto X2, but for the price of ones on Swappa (and can’t find any on eBay), it seemed better to just get a new phone, sadly. I agree Pixel prices will probably drop next month, so I’ll keep an eye out for that, but I haven’t looked into the Moto X4 yet - thanks for the info!

GSM should be activated first? So if I get a CDMA-compatible BYOD phone with no SIM, I’ll need to get a GSM SIM from RW and then request a CDMA SIM? I won’t be able to use my Moto X1’s SIM?

Probably, but the main annoyance is just delayed/queued-up keys when texting; well, that, and when programs refuse to be minimized at times even when nothing else is running. I’ll be trying to stick it out a bit longer and hoping better options become available.

teh SIM in the Legacy phones are CDMA and with CDMA the SIM does not link your account and number the way a GSM phone Does, on CDMA the SIM just lets a an active Phone (via the MEID) to access the LTE network, the account and number are link to the phone and not the SIM, all CDMA phones work this way and SIM can not just be moved to transfer the number to the new phone (in fact due to the custom ROM the Legacy phones need to keep there SIMs even if sold or reused) this is basically the difference between CDMa and GSM, with GSM the SIM is what links to the account and number and the phone and that why it can be moved from phone to phone (and in republic case this still needs to be a approved model and Republic would still recommend a new SIM)

I am still very satisfied with My Moto X 2nd Gen and am not looking to update it for awhile (even though it’s going on 3 year this Christmas and also stuck at Android 5.1 OS )

This probably belongs in the Problems section, but my phone will frequently lag even if not many applications are running. I did a full reset a couple months ago and have a few GBs of free space available, but the issue’s back again. Any apps or tweaks that might get it back up and running faster?

Does this issue persist in Safe Mode? That would help you narrow down if it is a generic system issue…or something specific to one or more of your downloaded apps.

I had no idea there was a safe mode - I’ll give it a try! Thanks!!

In addition to the excellent advice already provided by our fellow members, you should be aware of the Clearing the Cache – Republic Help procedure as it can also help with “lag” if it’s a persistent problem, just in case your not familiar with it.

I believe the WiFi issue was because it kept trying to connect to a “better” WiFi at the office (we have multiple SSIDs all disjoined from one another). We only have one signal on the 5GHz band, so when I set my phone to only connect to the 5GHz band, it’s been steady. This has helped a lot with lag issues as well!

Hello: Has anyone successfully set up a Galaxy S8 with RW?

• List item

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.