Change number on phone

What phone do you have?
Moto X Pure Edition

What plan are you on?
My Choice + 3 GB

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
Data

Issue Description

I want to change the phone number on the phone. My sister in law has a Republic phone, but I want to give her this one to use. How do I put her number on this phone?

Hi @shawnr,

If she has her own RW account the easiest way to gift it would be for her to activated as a replacement for her current phone.

It would help to know more about your situations such as what phone she currently uses to determine if a new SIM card would be needed.

:flight_departure:

1 Like

Hi @shawnr,

We need to adjust how you’re thinking about this. Don’t think about it as “putting a number on the phone” but instead, as “putting the phone on her account.”

I agree with @PlaneTherapist 100%, here. If you can tell us more about the current state of this phone (is it activated now? Does it have your number on it? What do you want to happen to your number?) and your sister-in-law’s current phone (to see if she’ll need a new SIM card), we can give you much better guidance.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. My wife wants to give her phone (Moto X Pure) to her sister because she has a work phone and doesn’t use the Republic. The sister-in-law’s phone is a working Samsung Moto X and she has a $25 3G plan. What do I do now?

@shawnr,

Is your wife’s phone still active with Republic? If so could you check to see if it’s on the GSM or CDMA network? It would also help to know what network your sister in-law is on to give you more specific advice. Thanks.

1 Like

It looks like the sister-in-law is on our CDMA network.

@shawnr, is your wife’s phone currently activated?

1 Like

@southpaw, good catch and thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Yes, both phones are active Republic Wireless phones. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @shawnr,

Before you wife would be able to gift her Moto X Pure, she’ll need to deactivate its Republic service. Is she OK with giving up her Republic number?

2 Likes

Blockquote Before you wife would be able to gift her Moto X Pure, she’ll need to deactivate its Republic service. Is she OK with giving up her Republic number?

Yes, she would be fine with deactivating her number as she uses her work phone all the time.

Hi @shawnr,

In that case, the first step is to cancel Republic service to the Moto X Pure as described by Republic here: How to Cancel Your Service – Republic Help.

Once that’s completed, best practice would be to factory reset the Moto X Pure. Republic describes that here: How to Factory Reset a Cell Phone – Republic Help. Please be certain to do the factory reset through Settings to avoid any hassle with Android’s anti-theft protection.

After that, your wife may hand the phone off to her sister who would reactivate as described here: How to Activate a Republic Wireless 3.0 Phone with Your Current Phone Number – Republic Help. This should be done within 20 days to avoid the SIM in the Moto X Pure expiring.

One final thing before you execute the above; is your wife’s phone currently activated on GSM or CDMA? Here’s how to tell: How to Tell If a Phone Is Active on GSM or CDMA – Republic Help.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

One more question.

My wife has voicemails that she wants me to download from her phone. Where do I find them?

1 Like

Thank you southpaw! I thought it was weird when I couldn’t find the voicemails in the phone itself. It would be nice to be able to directly download to computer than having to send to email or drive, but at least we got them. Thanks again.

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer