Charges when changing plans

I have a Moto G legacy phone and am on the $10 plan. During a recent trip to Portugal I changed the plan to the $5 wifi only plan as advised. Can someone explain to me why I had an additional charge when I downgraded the plan and another charge when I switched back to the $10 plan again?

International Travel with a Republic Phone

Hi @elainek.lkp2dk,

I’ve moved your question to its own topic since it’s really a billing question rather than an international travel question.

Our Community members cannot see into your account to explain the charges, but I can describe the process in general terms:

When you downgrade, your account is refunded a pro-rated amount for any remain days of your billing cycle on the $10 plan. It is then charged a pro-rated amount for those same days on the $5 plan. So, just to make the math easy, if you changed plans halfway through your billing cycle, you’d get a refund for half of your $10 plan ($5) and you’d be charged for half of the $5 plan ($2.50). So you should end up with just a $2.50 credit on your account.

Then when you upgraded again, the same thing would happen, but the other way around. Let’s say you upgraded with just 6 days (1/5) of your billing cycle left. You’d be refunded for 1/5 of the $5 plan ($1) and charged for 1/5 of the $10 plan ($2). That would result in a $1 charge. Since you would have a $2.50 credit on the account, it would leave you a $1.50 credit.

Of course, I’ve simplified everything by ignoring tax, but taxes are supposed to be credited and charged on the same pro-rated basis so that everything works out fairly.

However, we very recently fixed a bug that was impacting how taxes were calculated during these plan swaps. If you think you were charged in error, by all means, open a support ticket and let our billing team take a look. Our billing agents are always willing to review the account and correct any billing mistakes they can find, when they are in the member’s favor.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.