Chrome browser quickly consumed a large amount of data. How can I prevent that?

I turned on my cell data the other day to do a quick web search. I searched via google “presidential election results” and then clicked on this result:

http://www.cnn.com/election/results/president

I then noticed that my remaining cell data dropped 168 mb in that single search and page view. I then immediately turned off my cell data and viewed my phone’s record of usage and it reported that 168.2 mb was used by the Chrome app.

I was appalled. Something doesn’t seem right here. That seems like way too much data being used for that. Is there something else going on? Anyway to prevent this amount of data being used so quickly in the future? My cell data was only turned on for a few minutes!

I believe more data is consumed by the graphic ads that appear than by the news itself.

I’m sure you are right, but that is still an awful lot of data for just graphic ads?

Either way, is there something I can do to stop that? I buy 500 MB of data a month, and I can’t afford to have 1/3 of it used on one web page.

I would disable Chrome and use Firefox browser to compare data usage. I have never seen that much data used in such a short period of time while browsing.

Any chance you were roaming?

I was in a normal spot that I always get access, in the downtown of our city. Never seen it roam there before, so I don’t think so.

So, some more info: Looking at a detailed report for this period on my phone, it looks like most of this data for Google Chrome is listed as “Background” data. That makes me even more upset! What in the world would such background data be? Is there a way to turn off such background data in Chrome?

Okay so I found out how to disable background data specifically for Chrome (go to Android Settings then Data Usage then select Chrome and scroll to bottom for the option). That, plus I’m switching to a new browser as @williamo.vkbg0s suggested.

One thing that can be done is to go into Settings on Chrome and enable ‘Data Saver’ … this will provide additional data compression and save you some. This was originally discussed in http://pwk.republicwireless.com/ditch-the-data-how-to-use-more-wifi-on-your-apps/

@williamh.g2hqyu

There is another browser that saves Data called Chromer.

Chromer is a browser based on Google Chrome’s Chrome Custom Tab.

It simplifies browsing by prioritizing rendering a link first than anything else. This is achieved by use of Chrome Custom Tab which are light weight browser tabs from Google Chrome (limited other browsers are supported too).

Chromer - Android Apps on Google Play

*** ~~ßocephous™***

Message an
Expert customer