Chrome used up my remaining cell data

What phone do you have? Moto E4

What plan are you on? My Choice + 1 GB

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Data, talk and text

Issue Description

Hello all,
I had opened a help ticket on this issue, but i also wanted to post this here to see if anyone else has experienced anything like this:
Yesterday morning i’m checking my emails and see a number of emails from RW from over the night saying I had used up my data, starting at a “25% left” email, then 10%, 5%, then a 4th email (at 1 am) saying ALL GONE. Before all this started I had nearly half my gig remaining on the billing cycle.
I go into the RW app and hit the ‘see where your data is going’ button and see a massive spike in usage the day before, with it listing Chrome as highest user, having used up nearly 70% of my 1 gig
My issues:

1. I was at home so my phone should have been using my WiFi for everything, and I know for a fact my home network and WiFi were working because my wife and I were on our PC’s most of that night (mine’s wired, hers is wireless).
  2. The emails from RW range from around 9:30pm to about 1:00am, and I know I had not used my phone AT ALL that night while I was on my PC gaming with friends till I went to bed around 11:30pm.

So how could Chrome have used up all my data like this?
I had to go and spend the 5 bucks to get an extra gig so I’d have something for the rest of my billing cycle.
Just a little frustrated by this.
Thanks

Interesting. Have you checked the Chrome history to see if logs any usage from your phone arround those times?

Unfortunately the Chrome history only lists the websites I visited grouped by day, with no time stamps.
And the last website listed on that particular day was one I remember visiting (briefly) earlier that morning.
But the 4 warning emails that RW sent me (“You have less than 25% data left…”, etc.) showed up in my inbox at 9:52pm, 10:16pm, 10:23pm, and 1:11am.
It’s so strange.
On the plus side, I got a response from the RW help person, and they were very helpful. Even listed some helpful tips on limiting cell data usage in common apps:

I now have Data Saver turned on in Chrome, just in case :slight_smile:

3 Likes
Message an
Expert customer