Thanks everyone for some excellent book reviews and your participation “liking” the reviews. I’m personally adding several from these reviews to my own reading wish-list.
As of my writing, the the ten reviews with the most likes are those that have (thus far) received 7 or more “Likes.” They are in the following poll. Please review them carefully and vote for your favorite, the one you’re most likely to read, or the review you most enjoyed reading.
- Mis(h)adra, by Iasmin Omar Ata
- The Nightingale, by Kristin Hannah
- Goodnight Moon, by Margaret Wise Brown
- Watership Down, by Richard Adams
- The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch
- Letters to Alaska, by John Muir
- Rocket Men: The Daring Odyssey of Apollo 8 and the Astronauts Who Made Man’s First Journey to the Moon, by Robert Kurson
- The Witch of Willow Hall, by Hester Fox
- Burning Bright, by Melissa McShane: A Masterpiece
- The Color of Law, Richard Rothstein
Those who did not make the poll, keep in mind we’ll also do a random drawing on Monday, 9/3!
In the spirit of this “Back to School” season, we’re inviting our Community members to join our Community Reading Challenge! Although you may not be heading back to school, you’re never too old to enjoy a good book!
Read a book or listen to an audiobook.
Write a book review that inspires others to read the book.
Post your book review in reply to this topic.
- You must submit your own original review that has not been published elsewhere, of not less than 100 words.
- Eligible entries must include the title, author and format (print or audiobook)
- Eligible entries may be posted beginning August 7, 2018.
- Eligible entries must be posted by August 27, 2018 at 11:59:59 p.m. PT, and may not be edited after that time.
- Eligible entries must receive at least 5 “likes” from our Community Members
- Eligible entries may include an explanation of any app or way you used your phone to acquire, decide upon, or read this book.
When you submit your review, you are posting it publicly in our Community and agree that it may appear publicly in association with your Community username
Note: Titles and reviews must conform to our Community Guidelines. Please label books that are of a more adult nature as “Explicit.”
There will be two ways to win.
On August 28, we’ll take the 10 reviews that have received the most “Likes” and put them to a vote here in our Member Community. Voting will close on Sunday September 2.
On Monday, September 3, we’ll have a random drawing of all remaining eligible entries
Two first place Members’ Picks winners: $25 Tangocard* and a Republic Wireless T-shirt (S, M, L, XL, or 2X)
Three second place Members’ Picks winners: $20 Tangocard* and a Republic Wireless T-shirt (S, M, L, XL, or 2X)
Five third place Members’ Picks winners: $10 Tangocard* and a Republic Wireless T-shirt (S, M, L, XL, or 2X)
Five Random Picks who will receive a $10 Amazon gift card.
If your review includes spoilers, please use the “spoilers” tool when composing your entry. Highlight the spoiler content, and click the gear in the toolbar at the top of the content editor:
Select Blur Spoiler from the options in the drop-down menu.
This will blur the content for each member who reads the post, until that member clicks the blurred text, like this:
Hansel and Gretel do eventually make it back home and live happily ever after.
Tangocard is a virtual gift card that can be redeemed for gift cards from a variety of popular retailers, restaurants and experiences. To see the participating retailers, click The Tango Card tab in the Tango online rewards catalog.
Keeping This Topic Tidy
Ideally, this topic will contain just these rules and the submitted book reviews, but the real goal is for everyone to have fun and talk about the books you’ve enjoyed, so if some chatter is mingled in with the book reviews, we’ll work around it. If a good conversation sparks up, please don’t be offended if you find the posts moved to a separate topic of its own. It would not be punitive, it just makes the conversations easier to follow.
To participate our challenges, you acknowledge that you will need to download and use the third party products, apps, and/or websites (“Products”). These Products are provided by third-parties and not Republic Wireless. You agree and understand that Republic Wireless is not responsible for the content, operation, or anything else related to the Products and that your use of the Products is at your own risk and you agree to hold Republic Wireless harmless.