Community Challenge 10: Mother's and Father's Day Tributes ❣

Since the timing of Community Challenge 10 falls between Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, we’re challenging our members to write a tribute to a Mother, a Father, or someone who has acted in that role in your life, for a chance to win one of five $50 Tango cards1 for you to share with the person you’ve honored. We’ll award the prizes by random drawing.

To eligible for the drawing you must:

• Reply below from an active Republic Wireless account
  • Tell us, in your own words, what makes this person an important part of your life
    (Please use only a first name, nickname, or relational reference, like “My Mother”)
  • Include a minimum of 50 words
  • Post your reply by 11:59 p.m. ET Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Only one entry per person will be eligible for the drawing. Sorry, staff and @Ambassadors are not eligible to win this challenge, though they are welcome to participate.

We’ll have the drawing and announce the winners on Thursday, June 6, 2019.

1 The Tango Card is an online gift card you can convert into a gift card for

• Your favorite retailers
    • Amazon
    • Barnes & Noble
    • Best Buy
    • Kohls
    • L.L. Bean
    • Target
    • and many more
  • Your favorite restaurants
    • Chilis
    • Chipotle
    • Logan’s Roadhouse
    • McCormick & Schmicks
    • among others
  • Your favorite experiences
    • AMC Theaters
    • Delta
    • Fandango
    • Spafinder
    • to name a few
2 Likes

I’ll address this to both my mom and dad!
We frequently have our disagreements, but I know that they’re trying to help me. And I know they have my back for anything I need to do. My mother is an excellent cook, capable of making delicious food out of very limited ingredients, with (I’d say) superior taste. My father is the most competent person I know, and the hardest working.

3 Likes

My Grandfather, I consider to be my father figure in my life, since my biological father never was since i was born. Growing up, he instilled upon me many useful things in life that made me who I am today. Do things right the first time, do a excellent job, not a good job. Go above and beyond. Quality over quantity. He is a perfectionist in his work and that has indeed rubbed off on me in the work I do. He is a workaholic and his 76yrs of that life style, and long term major health issues, have had a huge toll on him.

Watching a love one age and degrade into someone you can barley recognize, and can not really do activities with like we used to, truly is very hard and emotional. The reality of and inevitability of the cycle of life becomes more clear to me each time I see Fathers day or my folks birth days listed on my Calender.

4 Likes

My mother does all the work for me when it comes to finances. She’s my free “Financial Advisor”. However, a big surprise is that it was I who got her onto Republic Wireless! That’s because she’s not good with technology to even know what to look for. On the other hand, she does know a great deal when she sees one!

3 Likes

I had a hard time understanding my dad when I was a kid. He told me he loved me from time to time and hugged me, but wasn’t overly expressive about his love. As I grew older, I realized his endless sacrifices without any complaining was a complete testimony of his love for my sister and me. He worked hard to make sure we had everything we needed daily, but also so that he could take us all out for dinner on Saturdays and on summer vacations. He knew the value and importance of setting time aside to make memories together uninterrupted by the world or our day-to-day lives. Now, as a parent myself, I realize how significant this all was (especially financially!!) as so many of my memories of my childhood happened during these dinners or vacations. I’m so thankful for a dad who is extremely selfless, loyal, and kind. My husband and I are trying to make sure we put down our devices and have time established with our kids, so we, too, can create special memories with our kids!
-Katie F. RW member since Fall 2013

3 Likes

I appreciate my mom’s wisdom that established my roots and encouraged my growth. Her sage advice included “bloom where you are planted” and “I think I can. I think I can.” I’m thankful that she worked with Dad to live frugally so she was available with a hug and a listening ear when I got off the school bus. Her availability to talk through relationships and decisions were invaluable. She gave of herself daily to provide a well-rounded, experiential learning environment for us. I’m thankful for her example as I mother my children.

2 Likes

My mother taught me to be confident in myself, and to stand up for what I believe in. She also taught me how important it is to care about other people. And she didn’t just do this with her words; she also demonstrated it with her actions every day. I was a strong-willed little kid, so I often butted heads with her growing up, but now that I’m an adult, we’ve become good friends. I’m very grateful for all her encouragement over the years, and I’m lucky to have her in my life.

2 Likes

My mother left everything she knew to travel to the United States and become the link for her children to have a better life. Because of her age and responsibilities as a mother of four it was not logical to the reasoning mind, but self sacrificing love prevailed. The countless opportunities in America were not for her, but for the next generation to reap.

5 Likes

Gonna be selfish and write a tribute to myself.:rofl:
I’m a good mom. I got my son through preschool, kindergarten, middle school and high school.
I bought him a RW phone during a Mother’s Day sale a couple of years ago.
I’ll never get “Mother of the Year” (a REAL thing in Vermont, with a placque on the wall of the state house), but I’ve done okay.
Here’s to all of the other moms & dads out there. We may not get it perfect, but we get it done!

4 Likes

Lol your post is great. Mothers do so much. I hope you qualify to enter the give away.

1 Like

Thanks, Luisa. The story about your mom is very inspiring. What a courageous woman!

1 Like

As my parents are aging, I’m so thankful that they are both still here to talk with and enjoy time together. I’ve always sort of taken Mother’s Day and Father’s Day for granted as both parents have been healthy. However, realizing that our time together is precious and finite, it’s so good to be able to do simple things like calling them and just chatting about everyday things.

4 Likes

My mom taught by example. When I was young, and my mom needed me to do something while I was in the middle of something else–even if it was trivial, and something for which she had no point of reference, like a video game–she would always preface the request with “when you reach a stopping point…” To be clear, my mom held us to high standards, but when it came to unimportant details (such as, often, the exact timing), she gave us freedom in those areas. From this interaction and similar ones, I learned it’s possible to communicate respect and flexibility without compromising authority.

5 Likes

My Parents made me the man I am today. I am giving, courteous, a good listener, and very patient. Mom made sure I had the LORD in my soul & to help others if I can. My dad was a war hero from WWII & still my hero today. Happy Memorial day Dad!. My dad taught me to work with my hands and my mind. Think on my feet to adjust to any situation. Haha It didn’t work all the time but came in handy through most of my life. If I see anyone mostly kids swearing at their parents I let them know to appreciate them now when they are alive or like myself its a one way conversation at their graves. I am still learning!

3 Likes

Dad-- it’s okay if I call you that, right? If you were still here I would call you that. After all, you raised a little boy into the man I married. You did so with few words but many acts of love. You showed up to every track meet. You cooked up legendary meatloaf, pork chops, and fried potatoes for Sunday dinner. You drove all over the country to drop in on old Army buddies or family reunions, with your son navigating AAA maps next to you. You took him to breakfast every morning when you substitute taught at his high school after retiring. You still took him to breakfast when he came home after hanging out all night, like young twenty-somethings do. You took him to the bar with you when things at home got really bad. The bartenders let him sit on a stool next to you and sip Shirley Temples. Eventually he was the one they called to bring you home on late nights. Not sure if you remembered that.

By the time I met you, your memory was gone but he still had his. Every recollection, crystal clear, like careful pencil marks forming a portrait of the Dad he loves so fiercely. When you left for good, even though you had already been gone for a while, it shattered him. But he is picking up the pieces. He is remembering all those things you did for him, doing them in his own way with our girls, and smiling again. You showed him how to be Dad.

7 Likes

Today, my mother is my best friend, but this was not always the case. She has always been there for me and my family, without asking for anything in return. When I was younger, I took this for granted. I did test the limits of my parents. My mother spent much time worrying that I may get into things way over my head. I did have kids at a very young age, and it still took me a few years after my kids were born to understand how much of an extraordinary mother she is. She has never seen me as anything but her favorite (and only) daughter. She would work all day, come home and make dinner for the family, take care of my kids while I went to school, do the housework and laundry, make lunch for my father the next day, and take care of anything else. I don’t know how she did it, but she did it with a smile on her face. My kids are now 20 & 18 and they also best friends with Grandma. They know how wonderful she is and how she should be celebrated every day. She is the rock of my family and I would not be the woman I am without her.

2 Likes

I was fortunate to be born to Ruth and Robert. My older sister and I knew them as Mom and Dad who’d grown up in the Midwest. Their families, friends, colleagues and members of our Church knew them as Ruth and Bob. They enjoyed getting together socializing with a wide variety of people from many different backgrounds and becoming friends with locals, co-workers and Church members. Some of my earliest memories of the get together at ours or their friends homes were of sneaking out after being put to bed and spying on their bridge games.

My parents both worked hard, continued to learn and developed many long term friendships along their way into the future. They were truly good people and a wonderful couple together. I’m very thankful to have had the opportunity to meet so many good people through my life with them and their allowing me to have the freedom to be me.

:flight_departure:

1 Like

I can’t win a prize, but I’ll close this out, since the deadline to enter has arrived. We’ll have the drawing tomorrow (6/6).

My Daddy was my personal hero. He could do anything, and for me, he always would. He was incredibly smart, and held me to high standards, and he held himself to them as well. Make no mistake, he didn’t make life easy for me. He’d check my math homework each evening and hand it back saying, “You got some wrong.” I’d beg to know which ones, or if not which ones, at least how many. He’d refuse to tell me, making me work them all again. He wanted me to learn to check my own work and get it right the first time, to avoid having to do even more work later. He taught me the value of hard work, and of doing a job well. I didn’t just stack firewood, I stacked it straight. Mowing, sweeping, weeding… it would all be done right or be done again. And don’t get me started about my grades and how much time I spent grounded because of them!

He had faith in me, encouraging me to try things and believe in myself, and forbidding me to say, “I can’t.” He’d also keep me grounded in reality. I came home from ballet class one time, a little too proud of a rare compliment my teacher had given me about my excellent balance. Daddy listened to me brag, then simply said, “I believe even an elephant can stand on one foot.”

He loved life and made sure every day was an adventure. He taught me to waterski and sail. He constructed a Ferris wheel in our back yard! He built a sleigh and pulled all the neighborhood kids around in it behind his 4-wheel-drive pickup truck when we’d get a “big” snow. (This is Raleigh, folks, that’s like 4-6 inches.) He taught me to fire a pistol, and that snakes make cool pets. He taught me how to “catch a ride” on a freight train. (Don’t try that at home, kids.)

Obviously, since I’m speaking of him in the past tense, he’s gone. He fought cancer hard, but lost that battle when he was just 38 years old.

My tribute doesn’t end there, though…

Recently I’ve had the good fortune of getting to know someone who reminds me of Daddy, someone who can make me laugh so hard I get the hiccups, and who holds me accountable for my mistakes. Someone whose infallible logic teaches me by example how to think complex problems through carefully rather than finding a single answer and considering the problem solved. I’m grateful to this friend and mentor for restoring something to my life that I’d been missing since age seventeen: Someone who understands good enough isn’t, and raises the bar, constantly pushing me to do better.

7 Likes

Ok, time for a drawing! We have 14 eligible entries and five prizes to give away.

Here to start things off is my lovely assistant @louisdi. image

@louisdi, please select an integer between 1 and 14, inclusive.

13 please. For the number of hairs I have left on my head.

Message an
Expert customer