Community Challenge 15: How good is your phone's camera? Show us for your chance to win!

A frequent question in Community from those looking for a new cell phone is, “Which phone has a great camera?”

To better answer these questions, we’ll use Community Challenge 15 to collect some sample photos. Submit your photos for your chance to win a $10 Amazon gift card!

Rules

1. No photos of people. Any identifiable photos of people will be deleted. Moderation on this matter will be final.
  2. Keep it “rated G”, please. Moderation will be swift and final. The moderator is a prude.
  3. Submit only your own, original photos.
  4. By submitting your photo as an entry in our challenge, you understand that the photo is publicly visible and you permit Republic Wireless to use the photo to demonstrate phone camera quality.
  5. Each participant may enter no more than one photo per category.
  6. Each eligible participant may win only once.
  7. Eligible entries must be submitted before 11:59 p.m. ET on Sunday, Nov 3, 2019.

Eligibility

To be eligible to win a prize, you must reply in this topic, include the photo, and state the following:

1. Phone: The Republic-Wireless-compatible phone used to take the photo (brand and full model name)
  2. Category: Indicate one of the categories listed below
  3. Notes: A helpful description of the environment and/or how quickly the phone was able to take the photo

and for our more advanced photographers

1. Any special settings or special effects you used
  2. If you used a third-party camera app, tell us about it
  3. Any post-production edits you made to the photo

Sorry, Republic Wireless staff members and their families are not eligible to win. @Ambassadors and @Experts are eligible to win in this challenge.

Categories

Eligible entries must fit one of the following categories:

• Landscapes and scenery - bright sunlight
  • Landscapes and scenery - cloudy day, no flash
  • Landscapes and scenery - night photography, no flash
  • Animals - bright sunlight
  • Animals - cloudy day, no flash
  • Animals - night photography, no flash
  • Animals - indoors, no flash
  • Animals - indoors with flash
  • Objects - indoors, no flash
  • Objects - low light with flash
  • Action
  • Miscellaneous

Prizes - Many opportunities to win a $10 Amazon gift card

Staff picks

:trophy: Three staff picks will be selected from all eligible entries.

Random drawings

:ticket: One winner will be selected by random drawing in each category having 3-9 eligible entries.

:key: Unlock additional prizes! An additional winner will be selected by random drawing in each category having 10 or more eligible entries.

:man_scientist: Entries from categories with only 1-2 entries will be combined into a single franken-category and the number of winners will then be determined based on the combined number of eligible entries in that new category.

Prizes will be awarded by the end of the day, Wednesday, Nov 6, 2019.

7 Likes

Here’s one for the Misc category taken with the Google Pixel 3XL.

Here’s the important thing about this photo, it was taken when the sun was blindingly bright and the shadows deep AND it is at 3X digital zoom. It really shows off how great Google’s AI is at HDR and at digital zoom.

10 Likes

Moto G7
Landscapes and scenery - bright sunlight
auto HDR
A nice day in San Francisco walking by the Bay Bridge and Treasure Island

9 Likes

Moto G7
Animals - indoors, no flash
No Flash or special setting.
Just my phone pressed up to the glass at the Monterey Bay Aquarium catching the Jellyfish dance.

12 Likes

Animal, indoor, no flash. Taken with Google Pixel 3XL. Unedited.

Supercool Spiny Box Puffer. My son is obsessed with fish tanks!

8 Likes

moto g4 plus, landscape - cloudy day, taken on a rainy summer afternoon on near madeline island wisconsin.

3 Likes

moto z3 play, landscape, sunny day. yankees stadium over labor day weekend…

1 Like

Google Pixel 3aXL
Landscapes and scenery - bright sunlight

An early morning in upstate NY (on a golf course). The sun was peaking through and the early morning dew was on the grass as the fog was rising.

14 Likes

Google Pixel XL
Miscellaneous Category

Wanted to see how much detail I could get of my dog’s nose. This was taken indoors in yellow light (seen in background) with no zoom. The lens was probably 4 inches or less from his nose.

8 Likes

Moto G7 Power, Neuschwanstein castle in Bavaria from the Marian bridge, Landscapes and scenery - bright sunlight.

14 Likes

This was taken on a Samsung Galaxy S10 using the telephoto option from across the room. For the Animal Indoor without Flash category.

2 Likes

Pixel 3
Landscapes and scenery - cloudy day, no flash
Not edited
Looking out my patio door the other day

1 Like

Pixel 3
Not edited.
Landscapes and scenery - night photography, no flash (or maybe Objects)?
Taken with Night Sight feature (disables flash)
There is only one wall light about 30feet away on the house, illuminating this part of yard, it was nightime out. It a remaining tree trunk that got partially blown over during a storm and tree was cut down. To the naked eye, this area was far darker and in normal camera mode, the resulting pic was very dark, this good example of Google’s Software magic.

Pixel 3
Not edited.
Objects - low light (don’t recall if flash used, I think so)
My folks back deck and lights, just before dusk.
Surprised at how just a quick snapshot even facing spotlight, the phone did very good job first time.

Google Pixel (1st gen)
Misc category
No flash, +HDR
Summer Colors

6 Likes

Pixel 3 Night Sight mode, through a dirty window and with digital zoom.
Night photography. Miscellaneous?

At 3am, there was a crash on the major hwy that is a block or 2 away from my apartment complex. Was trying to capture the squad cars and crash from stairwell window, but the lights from the car dealership in between, as the very dirty 3rd floor window, made for not optimal image clarity. Still, quite impressive this phone can get this decent of photos under poor conditions.

1 Like

Landscape & Scenery - cloudy day, no flash
Took this sunrise that other morning on my Moto Z Play with no edits. Love the feature to twist to activate the camera as this view was only visible for a few minutes.

9 Likes

Landscape night no flash:
Sunset behind the soceer game then on my Moto Z Play with no edits or flash.

1 Like

Landscape bright sunlight:
The beginning of fall color taken on Loon Lake in northern Minnesota off the Gunflint Trail near the BWCA. My Moto Z Play has an awesome camera.

7 Likes

FB_IMG_1534425797270
Action or Animal bright sunlight
Having my Moto Z Play ready to shoot in seconds with the simple wrist twist is critical to catching wildlife in northern Minnesota. This bull moose appeared on our road & left quickly as he crossed the road in front of our truck. I quickly turned the camera on while leaning out of the window to get this shot. It’s cropped but otherwise not edited. Can’t live without my phone camera!

8 Likes
Message an
Expert customer