Community Challenge 15: How good is your phone's camera? Show us for your chance to win!

Note:

As of 6/11/20 All of the photos in this topic have been moved and organized in our #reviews:photos category.

A frequent question in Community from those looking for a new cell phone is, “Which phone has a great camera?”

To better answer these questions, we’ll use Community Challenge 15 to collect some sample photos. Submit your photos for your chance to win a $10 Amazon gift card!

Rules

1. No photos of people. Any identifiable photos of people will be deleted. Moderation on this matter will be final.
  2. Keep it “rated G”, please. Moderation will be swift and final. The moderator is a prude.
  3. Submit only your own, original photos.
  4. By submitting your photo as an entry in our challenge, you understand that the photo is publicly visible and you permit Republic Wireless to use the photo to demonstrate phone camera quality.
  5. Each participant may enter no more than one photo per category.
  6. Each eligible participant may win only once.
  7. Eligible entries must be submitted before 11:59 p.m. ET on Sunday, Nov 3, 2019.

Eligibility

To be eligible to win a prize, you must reply in this topic, include the photo, and state the following:

1. Phone: The Republic-Wireless-compatible phone used to take the photo (brand and full model name)
  2. Category: Indicate one of the categories listed below
  3. Notes: A helpful description of the environment and/or how quickly the phone was able to take the photo

and for our more advanced photographers

1. Any special settings or special effects you used
  2. If you used a third-party camera app, tell us about it
  3. Any post-production edits you made to the photo

Sorry, Republic Wireless staff members and their families are not eligible to win. @Ambassadors and @Experts are eligible to win in this challenge.

Categories

Eligible entries must fit one of the following categories:

• Landscapes and scenery - bright sunlight
  • Landscapes and scenery - cloudy day, no flash
  • Landscapes and scenery - night photography, no flash
  • Animals - bright sunlight
  • Animals - cloudy day, no flash
  • Animals - night photography, no flash
  • Animals - indoors, no flash
  • Animals - indoors with flash
  • Objects - indoors, no flash
  • Objects - low light with flash
  • Action
  • Miscellaneous

Prizes - Many opportunities to win a $10 Amazon gift card

Staff picks

:trophy: Three staff picks will be selected from all eligible entries.

Random drawings

:ticket: One winner will be selected by random drawing in each category having 3-9 eligible entries.

:key: Unlock additional prizes! An additional winner will be selected by random drawing in each category having 10 or more eligible entries.

:man_scientist: Entries from categories with only 1-2 entries will be combined into a single franken-category and the number of winners will then be determined based on the combined number of eligible entries in that new category.

Prizes will be awarded by the end of the day, Wednesday, Nov 6, 2019.

7 Likes

So many fantastic photos! I always knew Republic Wireless members were talented folks!!

Great representation, too. We have 35 different phones represented so far, with 77 people sharing 150 eligible entries.

We still need entries from the Samsung “A” and “J” series phones, and where’s the DEFY XT?!

We have enough entries in the following categories to award two prizes in each:
Animals - bright sunlight
Animals - indoors, no flash
Landscapes and scenery - bright sunlight
Landscapes and scenery - cloudy day, no flash
Landscapes and scenery - night photography, no flash
Miscellaneous
Objects - indoors, no flash

1 Like

So many entries and stunning examples of phone photography!

The entries before 11:59 p.m. ET on 11/3/19 that meet the eligibility guidelines will be included for the Challenge 15 prizes. We’ll award prizes by the end of the day, Wednesday, Nov 6., 2019.

We’ll keep the topic open (not the contest); additional photo samples are welcome!

2 Likes

To start the prize giveaways, we’ll do our staff picks. Our staff pickers for this challenge are @BenG, @swall and @sherrys. They’ll be replying here this afternoon, and each one will announce one winner of a $10 Amazon gift card in our Staff Picks category.

2 Likes

For my staff pick, I have chosen this lovely photo from @onebirdmocking! When I saw this submission come in, I automatically knew it would be my favorite of the bunch… mainly due to my love for animals doing silly things. Aesthetically, the colors of the blanket paired with the cute contortionist abilities of this cute fury friend make for an amazing shot. Kudos to you @onebirdmocking :partying_face: :smiley_cat:

4 Likes

My staff pick is going to @rebeccar.pzdkj8 for this artistic shot! I’m a sucker for the simplicity of a black and white picture and this one stood out as the only B&W in the bunch. Not every picture makes for a good B&W, but this one was well thought out. The symmetry and focal point, coupled with the complexity of the entire scene makes for a great image. My eye continues to find new details and elements each time I look at it. Well done @rebeccar.pzdkj8!!

3 Likes

Aw, thank you, I’m honored! This photo makes me smile every time I look at it, so I’m glad it has that effect on others as well. :wink::heart:

3 Likes

:drum: Time for our random drawings to select our winners in each of the categories! @theresar has kindly offered to help select our winners, and some other volunteers may be chiming in as well.

The first category is Action. There were 6 eligible entries, so we will select one winner in this category.

@theresar, please pick a number between 1 and 6.

I choose 5 because I have five fingers on each hand to type.

1 Like

I suppose that’s as good a reason as any.

Lucky number :five: was assigned to the action shot of a rolling wave by @jonathanw.pdeuwu [in this post]Moto G7 photo samples).

Congratulations @jonathanw.pdeuwu!

(Pause for dramatic effect while I get things ready for the next category…)

3 Likes

Our second category is Animals - Bright Sunlight.

We’ll be picking two winners in this category because we had 14 eligible entries! We now have two volunteers as @amitl has joined us.

@amitl, please select a number between 1 and 14.
(And @theresar, please be thinking about your number between 1 and 14, so you can pick the second winner)

I am going to go with “lucky for some” #13

1 Like

Well, at least today, 13 is lucky for @Teresa_travels2 whose bright sunlight photo of a butterfly is our first winner in this category!

@theresar, do you have our second winning number ready?

3 Likes

The second winning number is 3 for The Rule of Thirds in photography.

1 Like

It must be butterfly day, because the rule of thirds has granted @jackiepatricia and her photo of a Monarch (or is it an imposter, the Viceroy?!? :smiling_imp:) a win in this challenge!

(One moment please while I prepare the next category!)

3 Likes

Our next category is Animals - cloudy day no flash.

This category had 10 eligible entries, so we will award two prizes. However, because each person can win only once in this challenge, we currently have only 9 potential winners to choose from.

@amitl please select our first winner in this category by selecting a number between 1 and 9.

Since animals have 4 legs…lets go with #4

Ha! Proving that not all animals have only 4 legs, your selection has awarded @theresak.uftmcc a prize for her up-close-and-personal dragonfly photo.

@theresar, a second winner in this category, please.

3 Likes

The second number is 7. That’s how many days in the week we can use our phone camera to capture great shots. (or try anyway).

1 Like

(I’m blaming @louisdi for the history of giving a reason for each number selected, but it’s certainly more interesting than without a reason!)

:seven: might also be the number of birds in the winning photo by @darrels, I’m not quite sure!

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer