Community Challenge 19: Celebrating Dr Seuss's Birthday

This month we’ll celebrate Dr. Seuss’s birthday and the importance of literacy with a Community Challenge that’s easy to enter.

Simply reply below to let us know what your favorite Dr. Seuss character, scene, or story is, and why. We’ll select three eligible entries by random drawing to win a $10 Amazon gift card!

Eligibility:

To be eligible to win a prize you must:

• Reply in this topic
  • Let us know your favorite Dr. Seuss character, book, or scene, and why you like it, using no fewer than 50 30 words. (Really, folks, at least give some reason why - 30 words, ok?)
  • Your entry must contain your own, original thoughts.
  • Post your reply by 11:59 p.m. ET on Sunday, March 1, 2020.

Only one entry per person will be eligible for the drawing. Sorry, Republic Wireless staff and their families are not eligible to win, although they are welcome to participate.

If we have 50 or more eligible entries, we’ll increase the number of winners to five, and Southpaw will donate $50 to Wake Up and Read, a local, early childhood literacy initiative.

We’ll make every effort to have the drawing and announce the winners on Dr. Seuss’s birthday, March 2, 2020, or by the end of that week.

4 Likes

My favorite was “Dr. Seuss’s Sleep Book.” When read at bedtime my toddler never made it to the end. I didn’t make it long after the end. Good book. This likely isn’t 50 words. “Green Eggs and Ham” uses only 50 different words and was my favorite when I was a child.

4 Likes

My favorite is “Please try to remember the first of Octember”. The intricate and outrageous imagery on each page is worth dwelling over for several seconds per page. I used to read it to my son growing up and now we use it as a joke for any tall ask…that he can definitely have it on first of Octember!

3 Likes

“And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street” is my current favorite, and was his first children’s book published. Its beautiful examples of imagination running wild–and then wilder–is just pure fun, and the rhythm of the poetry adds so much to the wild romp. If you haven’t read this one, try it.

3 Likes

My favorite Dr Sues character is Horton from Horton hears a Who. I love that he is kind in wanting to help The Whos. But he is also strong and stubborn with those who want him to forget about the Whos. I think it’s amazing that he is such a complex character even though the book is so short. It took a real genius to write so simply and still contain so much in a story, and the story is fun as well!

3 Likes

Our favorite Dr Seuss books is Green Eggs and Ham. We really liked all the rhyming words. My kids thought it was funny, especially when he finally eats the green eggs and ham and actually liked it. Trying to get young kids to eat something new, or something that looks weird or different can be really challenging!

2 Likes

I really liked The Lorax because it has a timeless message-- we must take care of our Earth. Before we destroy all our precious Truffula trees, we have an opportunity to act to save them and ourselves.
This book was written in the 1970s but it is still completely relevant. “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”

3 Likes

My favorite story is Green eggs and ham because you will never now if you like something unless you try it first.

1 Like

I’ve always appreciated Hop on Pop, especially now that I’m a dad to two beautiful jumpy girls.

1 Like

My name is Sam, so Green Eggs and Ham was my absolute favorite book as a child. It’s actually the first book I ever read by myself. I can remember proudly running into the kitchen to read the whole thing to my family when I’d finished. My mom says I didn’t even look at the book while reading it though, so it may more accurately be the first (and only?) book I completely memorized.

3 Likes

I adored “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” as a kid. I loved the idea that a thoroughly mean and nasty person could still change and grow and become kind and generous, and that still resonates hard for me! In my everyday job I have to spend a lot of time believing the worst of people and it keeps me really centered to know that everyone, no matter how awful they may seem, can completely and radically change. Also, I love doing the voices of each part, and I love that it’s a confrontation with a little girl that makes the Grinch change his mind.

3 Likes

My favorite Dr. Seuss book was “Happy Birthday to You”. I loved looking at the pictures and reading about each scene as the great birthday bird takes the boy to Katroo to celebrate as they do there. The images would dance off the page, and I could imagine what it would be like to be there. I always thought it would be fun to stand on a hilltop and shout like the boy did in the book on my birthday. I never did, because I knew my older brother would make fun of me, but I always thought about it whenever I read the book.

3 Likes

My favorite Dr. Seuss book is How the Glunk Got Thunk. I read it all the time growing up. It’s another of his classic silly tales with made up words, and the ending has the siblings work together to “unthunk” the Glunk.

3 Likes

The Cat in the the Hat as he is very disruptive.

1 Like

I like Dr Seuss’s books for literacy, but his books relay American bias I am unwilling to expose my children to. For example, Fox in Socks - a fabulous tongue twisting phenomenon and character - but whose pages give reference to a “slow Joe Crow” character that highlights a stereotype we should challenge. Let’s remember that diversity should be celebrated and we shouldn’t get stuck on one author, when there are so many we could point to whose works are unbiased and more worthy of celebrating. I appreciate the opportunity to share and do so in a spirit of respect.

3 Likes

I came upon a neighbor child reading “Green Eggs and Ham” when I was a preschooler in the early 60s. She read it to me and for the first time, the mystery of words seemed to dissolve a little. Reading became real.

3 Likes

I grew up in a family that didn’t read :frowning: … so I have no real familiarity with Dr Seuss. Throughout most of my life I limited my reading to technical pubs etc in an attempt to keep up with technology.
A couple of years ago, when we were establishing our selves in a new area, we went to the local library and signed up for their online library
It gives you access to 1,000’s of books (for free), very convenient as I can sync between my phone and my Kindle or my iPad.
I have been using OverDrive and love it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I love Dr Seuss! My first date with my husband was to his family’s annual Dr Seuss party. (Competitive reading of Fox in Socks, anyone?)

My favorite Seussian book is Green Eggs and Ham. I heard he wrote it in response to a dare that he couldn’t write a book using less than 50 different words. He did it in 49 (I’ve checked!). I tried to memorize it as a teenager but my brother and sister got sick of helping long before I got all the “could nots”, “would nots”, and “will nots” in their proper places. I now read it to my kids with all the exasperated sighs and shouting it deserves.

I forgot the “why”!
I think GEaH is my favorite because of how my mom read it to me when I was little. My mom doesn’t merely read a book. She delivers an auditory extravaganza!

4 Likes

What a great contest, I’m enjoying reading everybody’s comments! Dr. Seuss books always elicited many smiles and one in particular never failed to get my youngest to chuckle at the mere mention of some of the names, so I will choose The Sneetches and Other Stories as my favorite! Sneetches, Sylvester McMonkey McBean with his “fix it up chappie” and other funny names would make me laugh too as I read them.

2 Likes

Hi @marias.l51kkj,

The Fix-it-up Chappie happens to be my favorite Dr. Seuss character! I was hoping someone would mention him!

3 Likes
Message an
Expert customer