Community Challenge 21: How are you doing?

@SpeedingCheetah … all this and you continue to provide help to fellow members in the Republic family.
Hang in there, and I think we all looking forward to a better outcome ahead., for you, for the world, and for all of us

4 Likes

I went on a diet, lost 72 pounds over the course of a year, and felt great. Then something went amiss in the lumbar region of my spine that has caused pain so severe I averaged less than any hour/day of sleep for over a month. Outpatient treatment seems to be a thing of the past in this pandemic but the VA managed to set me up with a pain clinic about 60 miles from my home. I’m improving now, getting about 5 hours of sleep nightly. I sill need a walker and cane but at least I can get around the house OK.

I’d have a handicap parking permit but that state office is closed. I find a grocery cart can double as a walker so I park close to a cart return.

One of my granddaughters, a college junior, was kicked out of her dorm and off her campus so she moved in with me and is continuing her coursework on-line. She has been especially helpful getting me through this. My SO, a cancer survivor, has isolated herself to her condo. We really miss spending time together but neither of us feels safe out in the wild given our age and health issues. Sigh. This too shall pass but in the meantime I hope all of you take care and wish you good fortune.

Bill

3 Likes

Hi @billg,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve experienced such a setback. Pain that keeps you from sleeping severely challenges anyone’s quality of life, and having it happen during this pandemic has clearly made things more difficult for you.

It is good to see that your granddaughter has been able to be with you and help you. I know she is very dear to you, and I’m sure you are both enjoying the time together, even though the circumstances are trying.

We’re wishing you continued progress and relief from the pain you are experiencing. Take care, and keep us updated.

7 Likes

I graduated from college today (May 7th) with my Bachelors of Computer Science, bitter-sweet not being able to celebrate with my peers.

Even more bitter-sweet is graduating into the current job climate, finding a job will be difficult and remote positions want more experienced developers. Even my professors lamented about this during my exit meeting with them.

Despite this life is fairly normal, being back home from college since March has allowed me to resume my part time job on weekends. It’s easy to get caught up in how dreary things are right now but I have no real expenses and the area I live in has had very little exposure to Coronavirus (just now hitting 64 cases).

9 Likes

Congratulations on your graduation, @Burusutazu! My daughter is also experiencing graduation via online ceremonies. Best of luck with the job search!

2 Likes

Congratulations on getting your degree. It is a crazy job market out there now. If all else fails, I suggest consider signing up for military service. It is job. You would get veterans benefits, likely work on cutting edge tech and not have to stress about employment in this bizarre job market.

Good luck!

1 Like

Hi Southpaw,

Thanks for the encouraging words and the care package of exotic beer that arrived today. After spending some time in Europe my granddaughter became a beer critic and we enjoy splitting and rating cans and bottles of local brews, We have never tasted anything like this array of 7 different beers. The one we are going to taste before supper tonight is “Hold The Spoon Black Chocolate Cake” an “Imperial milk stout with cacao nibs, cacao powder, salt and vanilla”. It is 8.5% alcohol by volume so we can skip drinking bleach to ward off the the virus.

Let me know if you are interested in how we rate these beers. You can learn more about this beer here:

I’m pleased to report that the steroid injections I’m getting are helping and I can now walk about 30’ without my cane or walker. I can lay flat on my back and on one side with just a little pain and sit in a chair with now lower back pain and only level 3 pain in my neck. The next injection will be next Monday.

Bill

6 Likes

Hi @billg! So happy you’re enjoying the beer and are able to share it with your granddaughter! I see the beer made it before the letter I sent (check your mailbox in a couple days for it), but I am eager to hear how they all taste! I chose these specific beers mostly because they looked very interesting.I have yet to acquire a taste for stouts but I’m hoping to try the one you deem the best to see if my mind can be opened to them.

Can’t wait to hear your reviews on all the brews and VERY glad to hear the steroids are working - what an awesome thing to celebrate during this interesting time.

3 Likes

Hi Madison,

We just couldn’t wait for supper so we split Cold Brew Coffee Milk Stout for lunch. We both liked it. It has a body much Guinness Stout and we felt it tasted better. It is creamy with a delicious coffee flavor. We both give this one an A rating.

https://www.garagebrewco.com/cold-brew-coffee-milk-stout

Thanks!

Bill and Sarah

1 Like

Congratulations!

1 Like

My mouth is watering - that sounds like a wonderful dessert!

We split the Hold The Spoon Black Chocolate Cake for supper. Sarah thought it smelled a little like chocolate, I thought it had a medicinal smell. It is very dark and doesn’t form a head when poured. Sarah gave it a B- and I gave it a C. It really isn’t beer.

No beer that smells medicinal is a good beer. I will be sure to avoid that one!

1 Like

Today I’m celebrating this morning’s lumbar epidural steroid injection. Got it this morning and am, at the moment. completely pain free. Looking for a beer that might go good with a steroid injection I selected the Peanut Butter Chocolate Milk Stout (5.6%) and am sipping it as I write this. This beer is so dark light doesn’t pass through it. It smells good, even a little like ordinary beer but with a hint of chocolate. I find it absolutely delicious. It blew me away because I didn’t think I would care for it. Madison, you got me hooked with this one.

1 Like

This one is bitter, sort of like drinking espresso without sugar. Not my can of beer.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer