Community Challenge 22: A thank-you gift for those in the medical field

Tell us about someone in the medical field who deserves a thank you for his or her work during the COVID-19 pandemic.

We’d like to send your medical heroes a thank-you gift. Tell us about anyone who is working in a hospital, doctor’s office, clinic, or other medical environment, and how they’ve stepped up to face the challenges brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic.

We’ll pick twenty of our favorite stories and send those nominees a thank-you gift. Prizes include Google Home products, Bluetooth earbuds, speakers, or headsets, power packs, dash mounts, and microSD memory cards. We have twenty fun prizes to give away!

To thank you for participating, we’ll have a random drawing for a $10 Amazon gift card for three people who post eligible nominations.

How to nominate your hero:

• Reply in this topic to tell us about someone in the medical field who deserve a thank-you gift, and why.
  • Do not include full names, just a first name or even description like “my pharmacist at the local drug store” is all we need in your public reply. When the winners are selected, we’ll contact the people who submitted those nominations to get the info we need to send out the prizes.
  • One entry per person, please.
  • Republic Wireless staff and their families are not eligible to submit nominations, though they are welcome to share stories on this topic.
  • Eligible entries must be submitted before 11:59 p.m. ET on Sunday, June 7, 2020.

Winner Selection

Thank-you gifts

Twenty winners of our thank-you gift prizes will be selected from eligible nominations by a committee of Republic Wireless team members on or before Friday, June 12, 2020.

Participation prizes

Three people who submit eligible entries will be selected by random drawing on or before Friday, June 12, 2020.

Winners will be announced on or before Friday, June 12, 2020.

15 Likes

I nominate Julia, an urgent care RN in San Diego. Julia has continued to go to her job every day amid setting up outdoor clinics to protect all of the patients and guidelines that changed several times in a day. Also working without complaint when having to give up a shift to save the company money. A truly dedicated RN.

7 Likes

Myself and staff at a NYC urgent care were and are always there. Most of us were sick early on but returned to work when allowed and deal with increased patient volume while maintaining our sanity…I think.

7 Likes

I nominate my daughter, who works in an Urgent Care Clinic. Although she has fibromyalgia, she never misses work due to it. Also with Covid-19, the problems are compounded due to her children still at home. But she is a real trooper and uses all safety guards she can to ensure their wellness and safe being. With a smile always on her face, she goes above and beyond to help those that come to the urgent care seeking help.

7 Likes

My nominee is Angel, musical therapist for Samaritan university hospital. Five years ago I got my aunt out of a nursing home in Puerto Rico. Everyone left her there. A few days ago, I took my aunt to the E R for a pressing emergency and they admitted her that night. With covid 19, I was not allowed to be with my aunt in the hospital and it was hard for us both. Both she and I attended Angel’s drums alive community class this past summer. The next day, Angel recognized my aunts name on the hospital roster and she reached out to us both offering to visit my aunt Cecilia. So super grateful for her kindness, My aunt is elderly and hope is a beautiful thing!!

8 Likes

I nominate Ben, a young , handsome, emergency room physician who early on knew that rural health was in desperate need of good doctors. He works very hard, with long shifts and treats each case with such care and compassion.
Not only is he a good doctor, but a very kind and compassionate one.
He goes over and beyond in his conscientiousness and concern for every one of his patients.

8 Likes

I nominate the head RN of our federally qualified health center in Philadelphia. Long before COVID-19 came to our city or even the USA, she was keeping up on the virus activity overseas and started trying to prepare for its advent on our soil by purchasing needed equipment (PPE, thermometers, etc.) From the time it broke out in Philly in mid-March until the present day, she has lead the charge in ensuring our staff are well covered, safety protocols are kept and we provide excellent service to the patients and non patients whom we are screening at our three clinic sites. She does the work of almost three people in terms of quantity and quality and is always ready to jump in and assist with anything- in spite of her many demands and how a task may be not using her training to ‘the top of her license’. Moreover, she is also a local pastor, committed to serving her community through prayer and leading (now online) worship services week in and week out. And in the midst of it all, she still maintains a great sense of humor.

9 Likes

I nominate my daughter and my son, but only one can take advantage of this. They are both RN’s, but our son is deployed at the moment. As her brother has been called to war, so has she. She didn’t choose this, it chooses her, she doesn’t know how long her deployment will be but she is in for the long haul.
She works with cancer patients primarily and now many also have COVID-19. She continues to persevere as each day is a battle. As she is sometimes tripled masked, she smiles with her eyes love and encouragement to those she cares for.

8 Likes

I nominate my wife of 48 years, Gail, an ordained minister and Hospital Chaplain. She attends to the spiritual and emotional needs of hospital patients and their families. In normal times this is 30-40 patient visits per day. In these COVID-19 times she calls the Covid-patient isolation-room phone and if they are not able to talk [due to being ventilated, sedated, etc] she calls the family at their home and asks about their spiritual needs, which are often many. She still visits non-isolation rooms in person wearing her PPE. She has an uplifting and encouraging Spirit that helps the patient and family endure their personal difficulties.

6 Likes

My son-in-law is a RN at the local hospital, and recently they changed his shift and moved him to the Covid-19 floor. He has taken this change in stride and without complaints, and my daughter is equally supporting his new role in taking care of the sick while at the same time wholly encouraging him to stay strong. My wife has made him some masks with a slot for a replaceable filter. She has also sewn and given away nearly 400 others for our front-line heroes: Drs, nurses, cashiers, Fire Dept, and police officers. He is a remarkable, patient, caring individual that goes to work each day with a smile on his face.

6 Likes

I would like to nominate Annie, she is a hospice CA. She comes into our home twice a week to bathe, massage and comfort my dying mom. My mom has dementia and has forgotten her English but Annie, despite not being able to speak Spanish, makes my mom so happy. Throughout this pandemic, she has faithfully come to minister to my mom. I am sure all her other patients are equally treated with care, concern, tenderness and patience. Because she goes into many homes to care for hospice patients, she is super conscientious about cleanliness and not spreading germs or viruses. Then she goes home to her family. Her courage to continue working makes this difficult time for our family a little less stressful.

5 Likes

Hi @jeffreyf,

It doesn’t feel appropriate to “like” your post because I’m terribly sorry to read that you are going through such a difficult stage of life with a parent. I do appreciate your nomination of Annie for a thank-you gift, though. It sounds like she is a wonderful caregiver.

5 Likes

I would like to nominate Cheryl. She is a nurse practitioner in Concord CA. It would be hard to explain the lengths Cheryl went to in order to assure my good health and well being. I can tell you that without meeting me in person, she was the only person who cared if I was suffering and ready to prevent any further suffering. My mental health, physical health and dental health was deteriorating fast and recourses were dwindling. Being homeless , I was truly in sure straights. Cheryl not only lifted me up health wise but restored enough faith in human beings that I had a will to live. I could go on and on but down to it, this woman gave her whole self to being a doctor and excelled in the worst circumstances in harshest conditions. She never judged me, just saw a human being and wanted to help. Everything I thought all doctors should aspire to be.

4 Likes

Although every healthcare worker deserves a nomination, I nominate an RN who is one of my relatives. Because she is (otherwise) a stay-at-home mom, she works a 12-hour nursing shift, overnight, once per week. Although (to my knowledge) she never worked the COVID floor, she was obviously a lot closer to danger than those of us who get to work from home.

Thank you, healthcare workers!

3 Likes

Hear, Hear. I completely agree.

I would nominate my sister, who is pregnant and has little ones at home. She regularly works with Covid-19 patients. Every shift, she wears personal protective gear from head to foot,. She now has to carefully save her single N95 mask over which she wears a surgical mask. The nurses now only get one surgical mask per shift, which means she has to wear it her entire 8-hour shift without taking it off. Yet she never complains, is glad to be in a position to help people, and her biggest concern is that she doesn’t inadvertently infect anyone in her community.

5 Likes

A huge thank you to all for your nominations! It sounds like we all have some really amazing workers on the front lines and we’re excited to be able to surprise them with a little token of our appreciation. Since we had fewer than 20 entries, we’ll be sending a gift to each one of your nominees! Be on the lookout for a direct message from the Republic Wireless team, as we gather the necessary contact information to get the prizes sent out.

As promised, we’ll also be drawing three winners for an Amazon gift card - stay tuned!

4 Likes

If I could I would nominate my entire workplace. I am so tired of hearing the media bash nursing homes any chance they get. Granted there are some bad ones out there, but we are not all bad. I am the Social Service Director in a wonderful nursing home where we have had to completely change the way we do things. No group activities, no dining together, very limited interaction with each other… We were told by the government to close our doors to all visitors back in March. Meaning our residents have not been able to have visits from their families for almost 3 months now. For our residents with dementia, they may not even remember their families by the time they are allowed to come back in to visit. Our staff have stepped up and tried to fill the gap as best we can. So far we have been able to stay free of any cases of COVID and hope to keep it that way. We have been using social media to post pictures of written messages to families and pictures of the residents so the families can at least see that they are doing well. We have also been using video chats, which is a new experience for most of our population. We have had amazing support and encouragement from our families through all of this but have no idea when things will get back to “normal”. Hospitals are closer to getting back to normal than we are.

4 Likes

Now that this is past deadline, I just want to weigh in and Thank Republic Wireless for doing this. I have been a customer for several years and have watched the company grow and expand in service and options and love it when I see heart like this shared. As a PICU RN who has been taking care of patients with Co-Vid 19 infections, I want to say thank you for your support. Keeping the conversation going reminds people that this is still out there and things like social distancing and wearing face masks and washing hands is still very important. . . and very effective! Myself and other nurses have been the recipients of much love. Now that everyone is fatigued and restless with the length of this pandemic, we nurses and others are now being less welcomed despite the opening of services. Haircuts. . . . no, dentists. . . no, nails. . . do your own please, etc. We use PPE, but I understand the worry. So, life will have to be on hold a bit longer for those of us caring for patients (who will also have to wait) and rays of light like this support from Republic mean a lot. Thank you.

4 Likes

We’re going to have our drawing for three, $10 Amazon Gift Cards now, to thank those who participated in our Challenge.

I’m assisted today by our friendly Ambassador, @SuperT, who will select three numbers between 1 and 13 (inclusive) to pick our winners.

What is the first winning number, @SuperT?

1 Like

First winning number is : 4

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer