Community Challenge 24: How do you keep your phone safe?

For Community Challenge 24, we’d like to invite everyone to help answer another question our members often ask: Which case is best for my phone?

To participate, simply tell us what you do to keep your phone safe. Have you found the ultimate case? Do you use a screen protector? Is phone insurance part of your budgeted cost of owning a phone?

Don’t simply post a link to a case. Doing so will not count as an entry. We want to hear from you about why you would recommend a specific product.

We’ll select 3 winners by random drawing to each win a $10 Amazon gift card. If we have 50 or more eligible entries, we’ll select two additional winners!

Eligibility

To be eligible to win a prize, you must:

• Reply in this topic before 11:59 p.m. ET on Sunday, August 9, 2020
  • Tell us which phone you have
  • Describe the product you use to keep your phone safe

Receive one bonus entry in the drawing for also telling us about a time your phone survived a cringe-worthy accident with the product you are recommending, or about a time when your phone suffered a mishap that perhaps led you to this product.

Sorry, Republic Wireless staff members and their families are not eligible to win. @Ambassadors and @Experts are eligible to win in this challenge.

Prizes

We’ll select our winners by random drawing on or before Thursday, August 13, 2020.
If we have fewer than 50 eligible entries, we’ll award three $10 Amazon gift cards.
If we have more than 50 eligible entries, we’ll award five $10 Amazon gift cards.

2 Likes

:mod: Many of the posts from this challenge have been moved into one of several topics in our #reviews:cases category.

CaseMe
Incipio
Lifeproof
Otterbox
Poetic
Speck
Spigen
Tudia

and many more!

For my Pixel 3 XL I put a glass screen protector on it and a jelly case. The particular jelly case is thick and has liquid filled back with glitter. Very pretty.

I’ve dropped the phone several times and so far it’s always landed on it’s back.

Last year I had the phone on a dash mount using it’s GPS to navigate home, when I was broadsided at high speed. All the glass on the passenger side shattered sending some over to my side of the car. My hand had a small cut from the glass. The car then ricocheted into a stop sign which almost punctured the passenger side of the windshield. At this point my phone as well as my passenger’s phone went air born and mine landed at my feet. Passengers phone landed in the road. Other drivers phone landed in the road and was crushed by fire truck, Oops!

Once the car stopped and I was able to turn off the engine. I picked up my phone, the glass from the passenger side fractured the screen protector. The phone landed on it’s back and was and still is fully functional! Later on when I went to change the screen protector, the phone’s screen didn’t have a scratch on it!

The passengers phone was later found by police and returned. It had an Otterbox case, suffered no damage and worked fine after it’s ordeal.

(By the way everyone survived the accident and no major physical injuries.)

8 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Otterbox Defender

A post was merged into an existing topic: Case Reviews: Otterbox

Well, let’s start with what I use to protect my moto e⁶. When I bought my phone from Republic, I also picked up a phone case (which had the added benefit of making the shipping free), and I later picked a glass screen protector off of Amazon. Those two together are pretty much my entire phone protection system™.

Now, a story of me almost losing my phone? I was about to bike to work, and I just checked my phone before heading out to see if I’d any notifications. Seeing none, I attempted to slip my phone back into my pocket, but I missed. The phone fell out of my shocked grasp onto the driveway, corner first. And it didn’t just fall - I had been pushing my phone into my pocket - so it fell with some force. It cracked the screen protector immediately, but thankfully didn’t do any damage to the actual phone. That, however, was the most danger my phone’s been in.

So far, I’ve been lucky, my past phones have failed due to their battery starting to break down and swell, not physical damage due to my carelessness.

3 Likes

Interesting to see that (so far), everyone is a self-insurer :slight_smile:

My journey to using a screen protector (glass), and case came when I was walking the hills of San Francisco with my first smart phone, the Republic Wireless Moto X. I tripped but thankfully being Weeble like, I wobbled but didn’t fall down. My phone however, flew out of my pocket glass side down (of course), and slid like a toboggan on the sidewalk for about 11 feet. :scream:
Surprisingly it was not badly scratched, but it taught me the lesson of protecting my phone!

My current phone, a Pixel 3a has a clear flexible silicone case, embellished like @littletoucan’s with a Republic sticker to up the cool factor. :sunglasses:
I just dropped it for the first time a few weeks ago on the asphalt. It landed on the corner of the phone without any damage whatsoever. Whew!

Now let me go find some wood to knock on :wink:

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Case Reviews: Spigen

A post was merged into an existing topic: Case Reviews: Lifeproof

A post was merged into an existing topic: Case Reviews: Incipio

A post was merged into an existing topic: Case Reviews: Poetic

In the spring of 2017, I bought a used Moto G3 which was in “acceptable” condition, including drop damage on its corners and scratches on its screen, for $50. Even spending $10 on a case would be 20% of the item’s value, so I didn’t. I dropped it a few times myself, usually from pocket height, and it’s always survived (though I did learn from this that after a drop, I had to apply pressure to the speaker area to get it to work again).

Anyway, last week I upgraded to a Moto E (2020). I ordered a TPU case because unlike the plastic found on a case like Otterbox, it won’t break, and the rubberiness provides a nice cushion. (I understand Otterbox makes good cases, but my experience with them is that even under standard use they don’t last as long as a one-piece TPU case will.)

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Case Reviews: CaseMe

A post was merged into an existing topic: Case Reviews: Tudia

A post was merged into an existing topic: Case Reviews: Speck

Message an
Expert customer