Community Challenge 26: The Great Spam-Call-Blocking Challenge

As @kwhite announced in June, our the Spam Call Blocking feature in the Republic app was improved this year and is blocking even more unwanted calls than before. Since that announcement in June, we’ve blocked over 900,000 spam calls! :tada:

For Community Challenge 26, we are challenging you to count your spam calls! For our My Choice members, we want you to put our spam-call-blocking feature to the test, while legacy members (and non-members) will just count the spam calls.

Note: If you don’t understand how to participate, just ask! The rules make the challenge look more daunting than it really is!

New Addition: Speed Round Mini-Challenge!

My Choice members who didn’t get in the Spam-Blocking Challenge before the 10/7 entry deadline passed, or who thought a 20-day commitment was too much work, are invited to try the speed round challenge! It works just like the Great My Choice Spam-Blocking Challenge, but you only have to tally your spam calls for two days without call blocking and two days with call blocking!

Click for details, eligibility, and prizes for the speed round

Eligibility

To be eligible for a prize in the Speed Round Mini-Challenge you must complete all four of the steps below:

1. Before the end of 10/22/20, join the challenge
    • Reply in this topic to let us know you’re participating
    • Share a screenshot showing that your Republic Wireless 3.0 app’s “configure spam call blocking” setting is set to “allow all calls.”
    • Disable any other spam call blocking apps you may have on your phone.
  2. Keep a tally of all spam calls received.
  3. After two full days of tallying spam calls (this date will vary depending on what day you join the challenge) reverse course:
    • Reply on this topic again to tell us the total tally of received spam calls for the first two days.
    • In that same reply, show us that you’ve enabled spam call blocking in the Republic app to either block spam calls or block spam calls and voicemail.
    • Do not enable any other spam-blocking app.
  4. After another two days, reply on this topic to tell us the number of spam calls received during the second two days. This final reply must be posted before 11:59 p.m. ET on Tuesday, 10/27/20.

Prizes

All eligible entries in the Speed Round Mini-Challenge will be entered to win one of five $10 Amazon Gift cards by random drawing by the end of the day 10/30/20. :moneybag:

Special note: Participants in the My Choice Spam-Blocking Challenge may also participate in the speed round. Simply share your two-day results as well as your ten-day results. You may only win once, though.

My Choice Spam-Blocking Challenge

Here’s how it will work: You’ll disable spam-call blocking on your phone and keep track of how many spam calls you receive for 10 days. Then you’ll enable Republic’s spam-call blocking and keep track of spam calls for another 10 days. (See details, below) Some of our members receive far more unwanted calls than others, so we don’t expect everyone to have the same results.

As of 10/8/20 the deadline has passed and no new entries will be eligible. Click to see details, eligibility and prizes.

Eligibility

To be eligible for a prize in the My Choice Challenge you must complete all four of the steps below:

1. Before the end of 10/7/20, join the challenge
    • Reply in this topic to let us know you’re participating
    • Share a screenshot showing that your Republic Wireless 3.0 app’s “configure spam call blocking” setting is set to “allow all calls.”
    • Disable any other spam call blocking apps you may have on your phone.
  2. Keep a tally of all spam calls received.
  3. On your 10th day (this date will vary depending on what day you join the challenge) reverse course:
    • Reply on this topic again to tell us the total tally of received spam calls for the first ten days.
    • In that same reply, show us that you’ve enabled spam call blocking in the Republic app to either block spam calls or block spam calls and voicemail.
    • Do not enable any other spam-blocking app.
  4. After another 10 days, reply on this topic to tell us the number of spam calls received during the second ten days. This final reply must be posted before 11:59 p.m. ET on Tuesday, 10/27/20.

Prizes

All eligible entries in the My Choice challenge will be entered to win one of five $20 Amazon Gift cards by random drawing by the end of the day 10/30/20. :moneybag:

Alternate Challenge

If you’re not a My Choice member, we’d like to understand the potential amount of spam you could be blocking if you were! DEFY XT users, Republic app 2.0 users, and those who are not yet Republic Wireless members, can participate in our alternate challenge for a chance to win a prize.

Click for details, eligiblity, and prizes for the Alternate Challenge

Eligibility

To be eligible for a prize in the Alternate Challenge you must complete all three of the steps below:

1. Before the end of 10/17/20, join the Alternate Challenge by replying in this topic to let us know you’re participating in the Alternate Challenge. Disable any spam call blocking apps you may have on your phone.
  2. Tally all spam calls you receive for the next 10 days.
  3. On day ten, (the date will vary depending on when you joined the challenge) reply on this topic again to tell us the total number of received spam calls during your ten-day tally. This final reply must be posted before 11:59 p.m. ET on Sunday, 10/27/20.

Prizes

All eligible entries in the Alternate challenge will be entered to win one of three $10 Amazon Gift cards by random drawing by the end of the day 10/30/20.

Bonus Challenge

Eligible participants in My Choice Challenge, the Alternate Challenge, and the Speed Round Mini-Challenge may also participate in the Bonus Challenge.

Click for details, eligibility, and prizes for the Bonus Challenge

Eligibility:

To be eligible to win a Bonus Prize, you must complete eligibility for either the My Choice Challenge or the Alternate Challenge and reply on this topic at least one time spam call blocking disabled, letting us know how it’s going. Tell us something about your experience with these unwanted calls. For example: What kinds of spam calls do you get the most often? How are the spam calls impacting your phone usage or interfering with your day? What’s the craziest call you’ve gotten?

Bonus prizes:

If we have more than 15 eligible Bonus Challenge entries, all eligible participants will be entered for one of five “superlative” awards selected by our @Ambassadors. The recipients of these five awards will receive a Republic Wireless swag item. :tshirt:

Sorry, Republic Wireless employees and their families, @Ambassadors and @Experts are not eligible for prizes in this challenge.

4 Likes

Hmm, this looks interesting! I’ll bite.
Here’s my now-unprotected-from-spam screenshot:

I’ve already been having quite a few calls from random sources (I’m 30% sure someone has a number close to mine and is giving my number instead of theirs), so it’ll be interesting to see how much the Republic app was already helping me.
I’ll check back in at 10 days time! (or maybe even sooner!)

2 Likes

I have way too much to deal with to play this silly game especially for such a stinky prize $20…no way…

1 Like

I’m in. I hate spam calls. Just got a social security one the other day in addition to the regular extended car warranty.

3 Likes

Good idea… but no way for myself to try. As with the upcoming election the spam calls/texts is “off the roof” compared to other times/years. The data might result in skewed measures due to the time your are collecting the data upon the “spam blocker”.
Just a thought… but thought it might be useful to share.

1 Like

Hi @badorf18 and welcome to the Community!

Indeed! Perhaps, like me, you live in a “swing” state. I’m in Florida.

Generally, there is nothing one’s phone company might do to stem political advertisements. Other than false positives, Republic shouldn’t be proactively blocking those, so I believe you could participate in the challenge if you wish. Alas, it is our politician’s 1st Amendment right to spam us. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I’ve been using spam blocking for awhile, but let’s play. I’m in!

3 Likes

Yeah Ok. We’ll try it.

3 Likes

I personally have zero interest as my children are all in the US military… with going back and forth over seas… and what they do… I do not need some “thing” person/automated calling me. I have the blocker on and still have had about 12 calls yesterday of spam… But I can say I do like the home port that I bought from them… now I do not need to carry my cell phone around in the garden…as I can hear the home phones ringing. And that was an awesome deal!

I just realized this setting existed. Mine was currently off. I can’t wait to be able to turn it on.

3 Likes

I don’t need a prize. I just wish you could stop the 2 annoying spam calls that are relentless…1. the car warranty spammers…1. the Chinese immigration spammers.

1 Like

Ok!

3 Likes

Given that I don’t answer any call that I don’t recognize, how do I tell which are legitimate political calls and which are true spam to add to my spam call tally?

I will try to do this challenge.

3 Likes

Hi @michaela.oau1n8,

If you wanted to participate, you’d need to answer the calls in order to tally them.

2 Likes

Thank you. That’s all I needed to know.

I’ll give it a shot. I tend to get spam calls daily that I manually block, so we’ll see what happens with the numbers.

2 Likes

Wow can’t participate because the challenge spans over too long.

What would you suggest for a mini-challenge?

Message an
Expert customer