Community Challenge 39: Ten Big Years!

Today, Republic Wireless celebrates our 10th anniversary. :cupcake: Some of you, like me, stayed awake late into the night of 11/8/11, repeatedly refreshing your browser “one more time” to see if an order form would appear on the Republic Wireless website, until at long last it finally did. It has been a remarkable 10 years. We’ve seen a lot of changes, from the Optimus S running Android 2.3.5 with a 3.2" screen and less than 200 MB of available memory (mine still boots!), to today’s phones running Android 11 (and even 12) with 6" screens and more than 100 GB of memory. We look forward to exciting new changes as the next 10 years unfold.

Ten years: Republic Wireless Optimus S from 2011 beside a Samung Galaxy S21

In Community Challenge 39 we invite you to look back on the last 10 years and tell us about a significant change in your life in that time. If you prefer, you can look forward 10 years and tell us what you hope to change or accomplish by the time 2031 is winding down.

Rules

1. Enter only your own, original thoughts.
  2. Keep it “rated G”, please. Moderation will be swift and final. The moderator is a prude.
  3. Written entries must be submitted in the spirit of the contest, telling us about a significant change you’ve experienced in the last 10 years or hope to experience in the next 10 years.
  4. Each participant will receive no more than one entry in our random drawing.
  5. Each eligible participant may win only once in the random drawing.
  6. Each eligible participant may win only one bonus prize
  7. Eligible entries must be submitted before 11:59 p.m. ET on Sunday, November 28, 2021.

Eligibility

To be eligible to win a prize, you must reply in this topic with meaningful content relevant to the topic.

*Sorry, Republic Wireless staff members and their families, @Ambassadors, and @Experts are not eligible to win.

Prizes

Three winners will be selected by random drawing during the week of 11/29/21 to win a $20 Amazon Gift card.
Additional small bonus prizes from the Community Treasure Chest will be awarded throughout the challenge period.

5 Likes

I have been with Republic since the second wave. I waited anxiously to join with my 2 school age kids. We started with AT&T and were not very happy with receiption or costs so when we got in it was a rebirth. I felt relieved knowing that I could reach my kids and they could call for help if needed. My daughter changed carriers about 3 years ago but has since returned to Republic. I have only had minor issues and I always receive great assistance from all the wonderful helpers. We live rural and it is lovely that I have very few issues receiving calls. So my signifigant change was leaving AT&T and being much happier with Republic.

3 Likes

It took me a minute to think about everything that’s happened in the last ten years, and it’s all good. My two daughters got married, and I now have three wonderful grandchildren (and two awesome sons-in-law). The love these kids give me has helped me better deal with an ongoing medical issue. The aging process is so much easier with them in my life. Like I said, it’s all good.

My wish for the next ten years is that “Papa” & “Gramma" will be around to see their grandchildren grow up to be wonderful human beings. Let me tell you, they’re off to a great start!

Oh, and I wish for three cell signal bars in my home! :grin:

4 Likes

December 2011
Graduated college
March 2012
Moved halfway across the country to start my career
June 2013
Somehow conned a wonderful woman into marrying me. (Still hoping she doesn’t figure it out…)
July 2013
Got my first smartphone, unfortunately on a high-dollar carrier.
November 2014
Moved halfway back to take a job I actually enjoy.
August 2015
Joined Republic for the first time! Still miss that 2nd-gen Moto X.
February 2016
My first daughter was born!
2017-19(ish)
Bounced between Sprint and Republic based on whichever was a better deal at the time.
November 2017
Celebrated a World Series championship with the Houston Astros.
April 2018
My second daughter was born!
November 2019
Began my (ongoing) penance for (still) being a fan of the Houston Astros.
April 2020
Innovated on the concept of “staycation”.
August 2020
Decided to pursue another degree. Realized about a month in why everyone else in the class was 25 and single.
January 2021
My third daughter was born!
November 2021
Left Republic for Fi so I could play with my Pixel 6
December 2021
Returning to Republic Wireless.

So, yeah, been a slow decade. Hard to pick out a significant change, though I’d have to say welcoming three daughters has to be the biggest change. They fill this house and make it a home. I love my wife, but getting her on board was an easy change compared to bringing in those three.

For the next decade, it’ll be continual adjustment; not planning any big, sudden changes. Just growing with my children and wife, and working out what the Lord has meant for me.

3 Likes

Reading the news one morning I came across a story about this startup cell phone service that mixed Wi-Fi calling with cell calling. My SO and I had service with Verizon. Their $125.00/mo. service was terrible at my place so Wi-Fi calling seemed like a better way to go. I jumped in but applications were no longer being accepted. Some months later when RW switched to the Defy XT we finally got in and never looked back
In those early years we spent a lot of time dealing with router issues we rarely encounter these days. I’m not sure if routers got better or if RW did. Then we spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get our phones to work with Google Voice. Ugh. Sean helped a lot with this stuff but they got the best of Sarah and she jumped from a tall bank building in downtown Raleigh. I begged for a lock of her Republic green hair to remember her by but failed to get one.
If there is one aspect of RW that has remained unchanged over these 10 years it has to be the excellent participation of Southpaw. In the beginning she was a community participant like almost all of us. It didn’t take long for us to realize she was one of the most valuable among us and I’m sure I wasn’t the only one trying to convince her to apply for a job with RW. The highlight of these 10 years was visiting RW headquarters in Raleigh for a couple of days and getting to meet Sarah, and Sean and so many of RW’s wonderful staff and yes, I got to do all of that with Southpaw.

2 Likes

For those who aren’t as brushed up on the history of Republic, @sarahd did not jump off any buildings, she rappelled down the side of the bank building in a fundraiser for Special Olympics.

Photo of Sarah:

2 Likes

In 2012 I decided to retire super early and it was Republic Wireless’ crazy plan that allowed me to afford phone service on my new journey for 19$ a month from the over $80 a month I had on discount from att via my employer. The money saved helped tremendously as I learned to minimize and cut back. The conversations with people about this mobile phone service for less than $20 were just an added bonus. People would tell me they couldn’t afford to do this or that and I would ask how much they are paying for their cellphone. Usually $100 - $200 for themselves or family. One friend who could have paid just $80 a month for RW, instead of the $200 for their phones, though I was being scammed. well 10 years later the joke was on her because i had saved thousands from that “scam” :slight_smile:

5 Likes

10 years ago I was using TracFone.

The prepaid minutes plan was the cheapest that I knew of at the time, but it was only possible with their 3x-minutes-for-life phones which of course were not smartphones. I had to buy a years worth of minutes to get an additional discount, and each time towards the end of the year, I had to take watch my phone usage.

Then one or two years later my friend introduced me to Republic Wireless. Now, for slightly less money I could have unlimited talk and text as well as a smart phone. This was a huge change for me. Spam text messages were no longer taking my minutes. I didn’t have to re-word my texts to get them under a certain amount of characters, and I could actually have some longer conversations with my long distance friends.

Was this the biggest change for me? No, I have had career changes, a marriage, and a child in the past 10 years, but it definitely made my life much easier! Plus, it’s a lot of fun to see people’s reactions when I tell them how little my wife and I pay for good service.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer