Community Challenge 4: Community Connections Scavenger Hunt

Community Connections Scavenger Hunt - Nov 15 to Dec 2, 2018

Participate for points and prizes and get to know others in your Republic Member Community.

Task 1: Autobiography - Update your Community Profile (125 possible points)

• Earn your Autobiographer community badge and 50 points in this scavenger hunt by updating your avatar and telling us a little about yourself in the “About me” field of your Community profile.
  • 5 extra points for adding your location
  • 5 extra points for indicating your current phone
  • 5 extra points for indicating your current plan
  • 5 extra points for indicating your previous provider
  • 10 extra points for listing three areas of expertise
  • 10 extra points for including a Profile Background
  • 10 extra points for telling us how you heard about Republic Wireless
    Autobiography Power-up!
    Complete all of the Autobiography tasks and get a 25-point bonus!

Task 2: Introduction - Introduce yourself in our Greetings and Introductions topic! (25 points)
Reply in our Greetings and Introductions topic and tell us something interesting about yourself using at least 100 words. You’ll earn your Introduced badge and 25 scavenger hunt points.

Task 3: Connections - Meet some fellow members! Browse our member profiles and complete the subtasks below. (125 possible points)

• (20 points) Find a member from your vicinity, reply below giving that member a shout-out from your location.
    Example: Hello from a fellow North Carolinian @southpawkb!
  • (20 points) Find someone from a different location than your own and send that member a greeting mentioning his location in the replies below.
    Example: I’ll be visiting Washington D.C. next week @louisdi, should I pack a coat?!
  • (20 points) Find a Republic Employee and post a word of encouragement in the replies below. Example: Hi @ryan! Have a great day!
  • (20 points) Find an avatar you really like and tell its owner why.
    Example: Hi @mb2x, your avatar looks like a place I’d rather be right now!
  • (5 points) Post the username of a member with a dog in his or her avatar.
  • (5 points) Post the username of a member with a cat in his or her avatar
  • (5 points) Post the username of a member with a flower in his or her avatar
  • (5 points) Post the username of a member who is either an Expert or Ambassador
    Connections Power-up!
    Complete all of the Connections tasks and get a 25-point bonus!

Task 4: Get rid of your system-generated username! (20 points)
For those stuck with a username like fredf.dk30v8, reply below to let me know what Community username you’d like to have. If it’s not already taken, I’ll update your username and you’ll earn 20 scavenger hunt points. (Points also given if you update your username yourself!)

Task 5: Orientation - Learn more about our Community! (155 possible points)

• (10 Points) “Like” our Welcome topic to show you’ve read it, and earn your Oriented badge.
  • (10 Points) Find and Read our Community Guidelines. and post one rule in the replies below.
  • (10 Points) Find our site statistics on our About page and share one statistic in the replies below.
  • (50 points) Take the Discobot tutorial and earn your Certified badge.
  1. Send a Direct Message (DM) to “discobot” with the text “Start New User.”
  2. A few moments after you send it, our friendly robot Discobot will respond and begin walking you through some basics of how our forum works.
  3. Once you successfully complete the tutorial, you’ll earn your Certified badge and 50 scavenger hunt points.
  • (50 Points) Take the Discobot advanced tutorial and earn the Licensed badge.
  1. Send a Direct Message (DM) to “discobot” with the text “Start Advanced User.”
  2. A few moments after you send it, our friendly robot Discobot will respond and begin walking you through some basics of how our forum works.
  3. Once you successfully complete the tutorial, you’ll earn the Licensed badge and 50 scavenger hunt points.

Orientation Power-up!
Complete all of the Orientation tasks and get a 25-point bonus!

Task 6: Browser - Browse our Categories (100 possible points)
Reply below with links that meet the following criteria:

• (15 points) A topic from our Announcements & News category by BenG
  • (15 points) A topic from our General Discussions category about phone cases
  • (15 points) A topic from our Questions & Answers category that has been solved, and give the username of the person who solved it.
  • (15 points) A topic from our Problem Solving category about SIM cards.
  • (15 points) A topic from our Tips and Tricks category that includes information you find useful
    Browser Power-up!
    Complete all of the Browser tasks and get a 25-point bonus!

Task 7: Provide a solution (50 points)
Give your very best answer in an unsolved #QA or #problems topic. If your answer is chosen as the correct answer, link it in the replies below and you’ll get 50 scavenger-hunt points.

Surprise Tasks!

(10 points) Find the Users page, view the stats for the latest year, and name one user who has visited our Community more times than me! (Southpaw)

(20 points) Name one of the “Getting Started” badges and describe how it is earned.

Unlock even more tasks and watch for surprise tasks to be added!

Once you’ve earned 450 points in the challenge, we’ll reply to you individually with additional scavenger hunt tasks for even more points. We’ll also add new tasks to the above list during the scavenger hunt, so keep an eye on the list for new ways to increase your score!

Prizes

First place: The seven top point-earners with at least 200 points will earn a Republic Wireless T-shirt, a $20 Amazon gift card, and a $5 Taco Bell gift card
Second place: The next seven top point-earners with at least 200 points will earn a Republic Wireless T-shirt, a $10 Google Play Store gift card, and a $5 Taco Bell gift card
Third place: The next seven top point-earners with at least 200 points will earn a Republic Wireless T-shirt and a $5 Taco Bell gift card
Participation drawing - In the event we have more than 21 participants, seven additional participants with more than 200 points will be selected by drawing for a Republic Wireless T-shirt.

Points must be accumulated by December 2, 2018 at 11:59:59 p.m. PT. Winners will be announced on or before December 5, 2018.

Awesome. I am going to participate in this challenge.

Rule from Guidelines: Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

Also, hello from another Floridian, @aFloridian!

And it may be an easy score for the hunt, but hello and thank you for your work as a Republic employee, @southpaw! Thank you for running this scavenger hunt, as well :stuck_out_tongue:.

And for the statistics from the about page, I found it really neat that there were 835 posts made in the last week, over 100 a day. An active community!

In trying to update my Profile… I just realized that the Moto X series phones are missing from the phone choices for “Current Phone”

:scream_cat: Yes!
I need to fix that, it was on my to-do list and then I forgot about it!

Thank you!

Thanks for pointing it out! The Moto X series has been added, though you may have to refresh to see them.

Thanks… I can see them now, all set!

So far we have two participants, so a rather sparse leaderboard, but here are the standings at the moment:

Topic from @beng: System Update for Moto G5S Plus - 10/18/18

Topic from General Discussions about phone cases: Help me find the best protective case for moto g5s Plus

Topic from Questions and Answers: Costco Offer for Moto G6 Unlocked- Will It Work With Republic?, solved by @louisdi

Topic from Problem Solving: SIM Card Problems: Replaced Moto 3rd Gen with another Moto 3rd Gen and swapped the SIM Card

Topic from Tips and Tricks: Controlling Your Data Usage (I obsessively monitor and limit my data usage, so this is pretty useful).

Woo! Reached the power up for this!

Also, to fulfill the location callout, how is Boston, @amitl? I’m down in sunny Florida, but even here it’s getting a bit cold. I’m having to wear sweatshirts (oh, the humanity :roll_eyes:)! What’s the clothing-layer situation up there?

Every winter I do wish I could escape somewhere warmer. So far it’s been a milder winter (well not technically winter yet)…but we just had our first snow storm…so yes…it very much feels like winter once you have the “white stuff” on the ground. Enjoy the Florida sun… I hope you were unaffected by the several hurricane events earlier this year.

Here’s a midday update on the leaderboard.

@hollowWorld has unlocked additional tasks by hitting the 450-point mark. First additional task: Earn your Wet Feet badge.

One of the rules that I wholeheartedly agree with is that Community is " Powered by You"
It is amazing how much wealth of info has been accumulated over the years by the active participation and revision by fellow members. Kudos to RW for offering and nurturing this platform for the benefit of members!

Hi @timwood Sorry we couldn’t catch-up last week when @southpaw was in town from North Carolina. @beng I hope things are going great, thanks for your updates on OS releases!

If I’m reading the Site Statistics page correctly :thinking:
then the “Users” field implies “new users” so in the past 7 days we’ve had 32 new users compared
to 472 active users (sounds like existing users)…so almost 7% of activity is driven by new users
hopefully all these “users” are finding the information they are looking for. It would be intriguing to
see how many of them stick around to become “active users” and help other members on the
community!

Active users have logged in during the timespan.

The most satisfying “correct” answers are the ones acknowledged by the OP such as this one

@amitl, I was looking for nice avatars, and I realized I had to look no farther (further?) than the participants in this scavenger hunt! I enjoy reading the Peanuts strips, especially the ones with just Snoopy and Woodstock. Is that an image from the strip, or fanart?

Also, for the avatar scavenger hunting:
Dog: @myorks13
Cat: @catlady52
Flower: @michellen
Ambassador: @amitl

And done with Connections! This has been fun, thank you @southpaw :smiley:!