Control texting and Phone output when driving

Reversing the terrible statistics of auto accidents caused by driver cell phone use can be done by a government regulation.

Require every cell phone service provider to upgrade the cell phone operating system with an app that turns off the phones ability to send text or use Internet while the phone is in a vehicle moving more than 10 miles per hour.
This technology is already available and in use by many commercial fleet vehicles as an app. It is available online to be purchased and offered free by some insurance companies.

https://www.gjel.com/blog/5-great-cell-phone-apps-to-prevent-distracted-driving.html

Note:
Saying that you don’t want someone controlling your use doesn’t protect you from people who do not control their texting and internet use while driving.

Generally, apps that can be installed may also be uninstalled, disabled, bypassed via Safe Mode, etc. Bundling the functionality into the operating system would obviate these things but would require the operating system providers or the manufacturers (not service providers) to implement it.

If I were unable to restrain myself from using my phone while driving, were operating a commercial fleet or had teenagers operating motor vehicles, I would look into these readily available solutions.

In other words, I’m willing to take personal responsibility no government mandate required. Government mandates are sometimes desirable, however, they are never cost free.

2 Likes

These app exist all that needs is for the cell phone owner to install and configure, I don’t feel Republic or any government should required any said app, as I would not want it, I’m a passenger 90% of the time and the other 10% the phone is in my pocket using the radio interface [Bluetooth] and do not need the government or my carrier to be my nanny.
These apps would be bloatware which defeat the idea of getting near stock factory unlocked phones.

2 Likes

I can see some problems with that. If you’re being harassed by another driver or trying to escape, it wouldn’t be advantageous to have your phone turned off.

More and more states and municipalities are putting in laws that give stiff fines and points if caught holding a phone while driving. The state of Georgia is considering a law similar to the one in NYS.

Two good apps that I use, since my car is old and doesn’t have Bluetooth:

One is Android Auto

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.projection.gearhead

Two is Dragon Mobile Assistant:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nuance.balerion

Both work great and no intrusive ads.

“Require every cell phone service provider to upgrade the cell phone operating system with an app that turns off the phones ability to send text or phone messages while the phone is in a vehicle moving more than 10 miles per hour.”

Fleet use, okay but terrible idea for our household. Locking out my passengers’ ability to text, e-mail, and play video games on their phones would cause MORE distractions in the car. If you could program it so that ONLY the driver’s phone was blocked, then okay, but I’m sure that could be worked around.

One more thing. Studies have repeatedly concluded that hands-free calling is just as distracting as handheld calling. States with laws against handheld phone usage have more people using hands-free devices. And people with hands-free devices spend a lot more time on the phone. It might be concluded that these laws actually increase the distraction and danger on the road.

1 Like
  1. Edited my post, thanks for the comments:
    Require every cell phone service provider to upgrade the cell phone operating system with an app that turns off the phones ability to send text or use Internet while the phone is in a vehicle moving more than 10 miles per hour.
  2. Note:
    Saying that you don’t want someone controlling your use doesn’t protect you from people who do not control their texting and internet use while driving.

Edited my post, thanks for the comments:

Neither do laws saying one isn’t supposed to drink and drive (or otherwise operate a motor vehicle while impaired). I believe the statistics on accidents caused by impaired driving exceed those caused by inappropriate use of cell phones when driving. The reality is no law or government mandate provides absolute protection. It’s a balance. Would you also ask that all motor vehicles be equipped with breathalyzers before starting to ensure the operator is sober?

In any event, what you propose would need to be mandated of the operating system publisher or phone manufacturer. Apps added after the fact can be bypassed. This isn’t something a service provider such as Republic can do effectively.

I did some further digging on this and as I thought might be the case, Apple’s current version of iOS (iOS 11) has a Do Not disturb While Driving Mode (no need for an additional app). Parent’s can use built in iOS Restrictions to keep children from disabling it. Still, there are ways (and reasons) one might turn it off. The most obvious reason is while a phone can detect if one is in a moving vehicle, it cannot easily detect whether one is the driver or a passenger. Google and/or the phone manufacturers could opt to provide Android with a similar facility. More on Apple’s solution here: How to use the Do Not Disturb while driving feature.

There are many valid uses of internet in a moving vehicle [ steaming music, map programs with traffic information, travel advisory updates]. If an app has a bypass for being an passenger and or on public transportation then it can [and will] be bypass by drivers who are the ones your most want to restrict.
We live in a free country if you want to restrict you phone [or your kids phones as long as you are footing the bill] you may do so, but I do not want my government, carrier, or phone make making it a mandatory and putting bloatware on my clean stock phone]

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer