Couldn't activate, ruined my Christmas surprise

I got a new phone and per the instructions from republic I opened a new account . I received the new SIM cards (moving 2 phones to 5.0 from 4.0). after attempting to move 1 line over, the problems started. Today I saw new instructions on how to change to 5.0. I followed those instructions. After hours of no phone I went to “chat” help. 30 minutes later I was told the first SIM cards would not work and I would have to wait for the 2nd order of Sim cards. Sadly after 7 plus years with Republic I will be looking for a new provider. They should have worked out the bugs before they made this public.

1 Like

Republic ruined my Christmas surprise by not having the system working correctly.

I’m not sure why you were told this, as I’ve used the process myself to activate SIM cards I have on-hand, unless the cards you were trying to activate were already in the process of being activated on another account. They cannot be de-activated and re-activated like our earlier cards.

I’m truly sorry your Christmas surprise has been ruined

I don’t know why I was told this either, because the article on how to change from 4.0 to 5.0 specifically said if you had cards (from a previous order like me) that they could be used. I was not about to try to discuss it with the “chat” person as I had enough of the aggravation. I hope they get the issues fixed fast .

That is referring to 4.0 SIM cards. If you have 4.0 SIM (green and gray carrier) it is garbage.

The SIM cards were just received from my original order to convert to the 5.0 system. They are not the old card that says republic on them. They were ordered on Dec 20th.

Do you need to activate on 5.0 now? I ask because lots of folks are having issues when attempting to move their Republic number from My Choice to 5.0. Short of a lost/stolen/broken phone, I would strongly suggest waiting.

Which is also Republic’s recommendation: https://status.republicwireless.com

I don’t have to move, but the wife’s phone has many issues so I would like to. I have held off trying to move her phone as it is critical to her. I should have new cards coming within the week but am seriously looking at a different service. I don’t want to leave republic but these issues have caused me a concern about the future reliability of republic.

1 Like

Hi @davidk.k5v3k0,

This doubt is understandable and reasonable, but I firmly believe the future reliability is going to be an improvement over what we’ve seen during our first 10 years. There’s no denying we’re going through a very rough transition, but this is temporary.

I also understand about needing reliable service now, and particularly when a family member is depending on you to make that happen. As you look at other options, please consider something that doesn’t lock you into a very long-term contract. I hope you’ll be able to keep an eye on us and allow yourself the freedom to move back once we put this transition behind us.

After hours of no phone I went to “chat” help. 30 minutes later I was told the first SIM cards would not work and I would have to wait for the 2nd order of Sim cards.

I’m not sure why you were told this, as I’ve used the process myself to activate SIM cards I have on-hand, unless the cards you were trying to activate were already in the process of being activated on another account. They cannot be de-activated and re-activated like our earlier cards.

I was also told to buy the plan again. But I wasn’t told that I needed to wait for the SIM cards to arrive. This is all a hot mess. I am waiting as everyone is recommending, but I’m bleeding money. (Purchased 4 unusable 5.0 plans, still on Republic 4.0 annual plan, and paying Google Fi, which was supposed to just be a temporary fix to use my Pixel 6.)

1 Like

Hi @Mini.Laura,

Let me separate things out to make sure it’s more clear.

Buying the plan on an account that does not have any legacy service lines is necessary. The plans cannot be activated on an account that has legacy service lines.

Waiting for a specific set of SIM cards to arrive is not necessary. If you have 5.0 SIM cards in hand that have never been activated before, they can be activated on the new plans you just bought on the new account.

It was the “wait for the new SIM cards” part I was correcting, not the “buy them again” part.

It is, and we appreciate your patience. We’ll get through this, we’ll settle the balance fairly for extra plans you had to buy, and then we’ll all be able to enjoy the improvements we’ve been waiting for all this time.

2 Likes