Data Calculation

I’m not a RW subscriber, but keep it in mind. I have a question about how data is calculated and figured this was the best place to ask.

If you’re at home or somewhere else using wi-fi and you have a number of browser pages open - even if you’re not even scrolling them, and probably forgot about them - you’re not using your data because you’re on wi-fi. But once you step away from the wi-fi, does that wifi coverage switch to cell, and therefore, those pages are now using your data? (I assume all carriers calculate data the same.)

If so, I know it’s not much data, but if you have a limit to your data, would it make sense to x out of your browsers before leaving your wi-fi coverage?

Also, when you use your data to access the internet, and stay on one web page, is the data calculated per second? Per minute? Or just as you open that web page and that’s it until you click a link to go to another web page? If that’s the case, then there would be no reason to x out of your browsers when leaving the wi-fi connection.

Thanks.

Web pages only use data when they are 1st loaded, refreshed or requesting updates (a video steam on a site will continue using data as it’s constantly requesting updates for the stream)

mobile browsers are smart enough to only request updates to the active tab in them so open and not the tab currently display will not refresh or request updated until they are the active tab on display

1 Like

In addition to the information provided by @drm186, Republic Wireless also provides an optional feature in its App, called Data Freeze, this limits data usage while on cellular to just the essential function of calling and texting which require data, but is not subtracted from the users purchased.

2 Likes

Possibly. You can stop the browser from using data in the background, however. On Android 10 I can go to Settings > Apps & notifications > See all ___ apps > Chrome > Advanced > Background data and toggle it off. There are also a number of third party apps that can be used to manage an apps access to cellular data and background data.

Republic Wireless offers some tips here:

I found out (the hard way) that’s not true with the DuckDuckGo privacy browser app. Set as my default browser, it often leaves windows open unless I click the Flame icon at the top of the page, and then closes all. A couple of days ago, I noticed that it had drawn over 100MB in a couple of hours when I wasn’t doing anything. I noticed that 16 windows were still open and a couple were news sites that kept pushing video clips. Now I close the windows when I exit the app, and don’t have the data loss. On the plus side, I find that app much faster than the other browsers.

I would consider it a flaw and/or poor design in the Duckduckgo browser app , unless there a widget no app should be eating data in the background

I know Duckduckgo does not use the chromium interface that most android browsers use but they should still be able to tell if the data is mobile or no and should not be using it.

Perhaps, but then if there were no such poorly designed apps, there would be no need for the Android setting that restricts background data use.

Thanks for the replies.

I have an iphone and within the cellular settings you can have apps on or off, so that’s a way to at least stop their constant “pinging” and data usage, at least for those you don’t use. Although, it’s not much data at all.

This is true, however, unless one is participating in Republic’s invitation only iPhone beta, iPhones are not generally compatible with Republic’s service.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer