Data Freeze on. Phone used all data

Ah, I probably enabled it for the first time a few years ago, before I started using a VPN, and by now had forgotten all about it. It’s not a big deal for me, I’m just glad I found this thread and learned what was going on. I’m curious if it’s the same issue @alycritter was having (enabling another VPN).

I’ve opened a ticket on this problem, but I also wanted to share in the community in case someone else has this problem.

I use Data Freeze most of the time except when I absolutely need cell data. On occasions, I have found that I’ve had excessive data usage when Data Freeze was activated. This morning, I isolated one app that seems to be ignoring Data Freeze and using cell data excessively. That app is Amazon’s CLOUD CAM app that is used to view and manage home security cameras.

While testing this with Data Freeze active, the app used 30 MB of data during the 4 minutes I was testing, watching a live camera. I now see how I’ve used up most of my data while on Wi-Fi, just viewing these cameras.

Hi @davidw.ctd2jy,

Thanks for your report of this issue. I’ve moved your post into an existing topic on the matter.

I haven’t figured out how this happens, but I’ve seen something similar with a different app and Google’s Datally. Although Datally is enabled (and the VPN is active), the app has background data disabled, it still uses data in the background. Very frustrating.

Since the last Republic app update, data freeze doesn’t appear to work AT ALL. It also went for like two hours saying my phone needed to be registered, then wanted me to reboot.

Only change I personally made was installing a DNS app (1.1.1.1), but I think that was two months ago.

afik: The use of Republic Data Freeze and the DNS 1.1.1.1 app would be mutually exclusive. Both use the Android VPN code internally and only one function/app can effectively use this code at a time.
ETA: I just re-enabled DNS 1.1.1.1 and the VPN key was displayed, however when I turned on Data Freeze in the Republic App the symbol was removed, and a check of the DNS App indicates it had been disabled (I was not using cell, so did not expect to see it on because of Data Freeze)

User action is required the first time an application creates a VPN connection.
*There can be only one VPN connection running at the same time. The existing interface is deactivated when a new one is created.