Data limits for yoots

I need a plan for 12-year old where I can control the amount of data use. I think I understand there is a hard stop when you use up the data you’ve got in your monthly plan, but that you can add data on a one-time basis or upgrade your plan - right over the phone. I need to be able to prevent the 12-year old from doing that. Is there a code or password that is necessary for such add or upgrade that I can control / hide? He will do what he ■■■■ well pleases.

He would need the account owner’s login credentials (username and password to do so.

To some, that might raise the question as to whether the 12-year old in question is sufficiently mature for a smartphone?

With Republic, there’s also no requirement one purchase cellular data at all. Details here: Cell Phone Plans – Republic Wireless. That said, any smartphone may access the Internet wherever WiFi is publicly available. Is the issue of control a matter of the cost of cellular data or Internet access itself?

He is not. The other parent involved is making this call - despite my having voiced my opinion.

Understood and more than fair enough.

Hi @jamesb.rkvjoe,

While you can use securely-kept login credentials to prevent this young man from purchasing more cellular data, that’s not going to limit his all of his data use - since the phone can be used on Wi-Fi as well.

If your concern is simply the cost, the information @rolandh has shared is your answer.
If your concern the actual amount of screen time exposure, you may need to look for a parental control app.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m primarily concerned about the cost. His mother will take up the fight with him about screen time. It’s a daily thing with the iPad, chromebook, and idiot YouTube TV shows. Sigh, kids these days . . . .

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s what my parents said about me, and my grandparents said about my parents.

1 Like

No doubt. But can the culture get any stupider than it is now? I suppose so, then my boy will be able to say the same thing.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer