Data question for the community

Is texting via cell considered data? I’m considering a phone upgrade and the plan that I am interested in has a check mark in the box which says cell data is $5 MORE per month.
Thanks,
HBWjr

Hi @homerw.y269mb and welcome to the Community!

Text messaging with Republic does not require the purchase of cell data. You may select the $15 (plus taxes and telecom fees) talk & text only option, if you do not need Internet access when out about and away from WiFi.

1 Like

Thanks. And am I correct with the fact that I cannot get a new phone under my present “granfathered” plan (which I think is $12/mo + fees ??

Hi @homerw.y269mb,

If the referenced grandfathered plan is attached to a “legacy” Republic phone (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1 or X2), you are correct. Additionally, T-Mobile who (by virtue of its merger with Sprint) now owns Sprint’s legacy CDMA network says it will shut that network down on March 31, 2022. Without Sprint’s CDMA network, Republic will no longer be able to support its legacy phones.

It is not my goal to complicate the decision making process for you, however, in the interest of full disclosure, are you aware there a new plans forthcoming:

We don’t yet know what the details are.

1 Like

Yes I rcv’d the Republic msg about their upcoming plan change. I have a Moto G, Android ver 5.1 which appears I will have to upgrade in 2022 anyway. Now I’m wondering if I should wait until Dec or get in under the wire and upgrade now. Such a delema

It is a bit of a dilemma. I suppose you could wait until a bit closer to November 30th but, candidly, whether Republic will have more details to share regarding forthcoming plans before launch is unknown.

1 Like

OK. Thanks rolandh.
HBWjr
Homer

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer